What's new

DEA Microgram on Kava Jan 2013

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
On one hand, I think anyone should be able to say what ever they want. Especially if it's true. On the other
hand, I'm always for the protection of kava from the government's eye. I've certainly made allusions to other
substances every once in a while though, but I usually try not to for this very reason. Sometimes, however, there
are only so many descriptive words you can use until a direct comparison can more aptly convey your idea.

Herbal, Schmerbal...a psychoactive substance is a psychoactive substance whether it's all natural or it's
synthetic. There are plenty of ethnobotanicals/entheogens that can fuck your ass up, poison you, get you high
etc...sometimes even worse than synthetics. Heck, even Nutmeg can get you high and destroy your liver. I think the
biggest threat to kava's status is health issues. Most likely due to poly drug use and/or tudei's, either out of
carelessness or simply being uninformed. The careless types will always be out there tryin' to get wrecked on
whatever they can. In the future, if kava's popularity started taking noticeable cuts out of the alcohol industry,
I could see alcohol lobbyists being the next likely thing to draw real negative attention to kava. I'm personally
worried about those two things much more than a sentence on the internet that says 'kava kinda feels like a benzo
buzz', ...or the word krunk being thrown around.

I'm actually quite pleased with the DEA evaluation. Outside of a couple minor qualms, I really expected a lot
more ridiculousness, it was a pretty fair assessment. The main thing that they need to always be clearly aware of
is, no matter what pleasant or mildly inebriating effects can be attained by kava; it isn't physically addicting,
it leaves the user's decision making intact, it has legitimate medical uses, it doesn't increase violence or theft
and is relatively safe for the body. These are things that keep you off the schedule list.
But, yeah...In general, I'm all for trying to keep kava's low profile by way of reducing any glorification of it's
possible drug-like or inebriating attributes.

Last edited:

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
I think one of Kava's major saving graces will be it's strong connection to the island cultures that have lived with it in there lives for so long. I have seen nothing else remotely like it with the kind of cultural affiliation that it does. That is my favorite part about it. When I do talk about kava with someone new that aspect of it makes it so easy to explain what kava is in a basic sense.

Tyler

Kava Vendor
Wouldn't worry about it. It's just on their list of watches substances. Until people start showing up in hospitals from overdose, people start doing crazy things etc, nothing will happen. Shit I don't even wanna get off the couch drinking kava, much less drive or do something dumb.
Lol, its just on their shit list... no biggie.

People don't have to end up in hospitals for something to be banned. I call state poison control centers every week asking them for incident reports on K*****.... I have a total of 16 reports across 5 states and 8 years. Yet, I've had to lobby for it to be removed from 6 state's house bills. Something does not have to be dangerous to be regulated. It just needs to appear to be dangerous to uneducated law makers and agencies. Kava cannot be talked about in drug like terminology if it is to stay unregulated. We can agree that both DEA and FDA are looking at Kava with a watchful eye. Just pretend they are reading every post and ask yourself, "Does this help, or hurt Kava."

mjazzguitar

Kava Curious
There was a politician who, apparently, went on a legal highs website, and then proceeded to craft a bill to declare everything he found there illegal.

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
Kava cannot be talked about in drug like terminology if it is to stay unregulated. We can agree that both DEA and FDA are looking at Kava with a watchful eye. Just pretend they are reading every post and ask yourself, "Does this help, or hurt Kava."
What about precautionary, pre-emptive supplement language? E.g., calling a shell of kava not a "serving" but a "dose" and saying not to exceed three in a 24-hour period.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
I need to work on not using the K-word. Rhymes with "trunk." I need a new word to serve as "pleasant and strong kava effects."

YourOlePalAl

Kava Curious
I've said it a thousand times, but seriously, fuck the DEA. People are actually finding something safe to use and the DEA has to get involved? Ugh.

Kavo

Curandero
LOL,dudes English is bad enough :)
Oz to some is completely uninterpretable ROTFLMAO :)
You can have a Root in the back of the Ute.
You can be Rooted from a hard days work or too much Alc/drugs.
You can be Rooted in what you stand up for.
You can be Rooted by Authority.
One of the funniest sayings other than get f@cked, is Root my Boot hehehe :)

Owyagoinmateay? Gotnybeerinthafridgeorwha? Knowairicanscorematebeenfuckindryaye?

:D

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
When I began researching kava several years ago i found all the drug forum posts. They portray kava much differently than we do. Kava will always be my first ethnobotanical love. I'm all for protecting kava, but I still like the term krunk. Rooted makes me think of something sexual for some strange reason.

Ricardo Piquant

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
When I began researching kava several years ago i found all the drug forum posts. They portray kava much differently than we do. Kava will always be my first ethnobotanical love. I'm all for protecting kava, but I still like the term krunk. Rooted makes me think of something sexual for some strange reason.
Krunk was a big phrase in hip hop culture that started years ago, which typically meant being drunk and high simultaneously. Maybe it's harmless language, maybe not. But I've come to really love and appreciate kava as a botanical with rich cultural underpinnings and seemingly benign effects. Language is important. I think this is one of the reasons dr. Lebot always talks about kava as a FOOD.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Pretty sad that a heavily funded agency like the DEA relies on forums like bluelight and drugs forum in order to make assessments on an herb like kava or K@. That would be like political experts drawing polls and public opinion from 4chan and youtube comments. :shifty:
Curious, is this based on fact or opinion?