What's new

Moi: Medium grind VS instant

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Ive had the instant moi but not the medium grind. I loved the instant but just ran out. Which sounds better, a fat bag of medium grind or the instant? I'm thinking in regard to bang for buck AND depth/quality of the experience provided. I'm ordering at the end of tonight, so let me know!\ what you think soon!

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
To me, medium grind wins the game of bang-for-buck + fullness of experience.
My instant experiences have all been stellar, among the best, the cost:usage keeps me from really digging in and seeing what it's all about though.

Last edited:

Jonathan

All Hail Leon
Well, I've got 100g of instant coming tomorrow, and I just ordered some of the med. grind that hopefully will be here at the end of this week, so once I've gotten a chance to try them both I'll post a comparison here... I'm curious about what @Steve Mariotti said regarding the med. grind and excited to check it out!

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Well, I've got 100g of instant coming tomorrow, and I just ordered some of the med. grind that hopefully will be here at the end of this week, so once I've gotten a chance to try them both I'll post a comparison here... I'm curious about what @Steve Mariotti said regarding the med. grind and excited to check it out!
Hard to beat the convenience of mix and go. I found that with instant, I would add some to my traditionally prepared batches for a little top-shelfing of the grog. Worked great.

Jonathan

All Hail Leon
Trying the instant Mo'i now, I really like it so far. Had two tbsp over the course of about 1.5 hrs., followed up by some eggs and bacon. It's settling in nicely. I'll report back the difference between the two when I've had a chance to try the medium grind this weekend...

Bradley666

Kava Enthusiast
I haven't tried medium grind moi yet, but the moi instant Is great :) The most I have done was 2 tsp, which on empty tummy provides a nice relaxing heady buzz!
Some point I need to try the med grind though because its got to be stronger then the insant Im sure...
But instant is great if ur on the run or in a hurry! :)

Jonathan

All Hail Leon
Well, after my first day with Mo'i, I think this may be my favorite cultivar, definitely my favorite so far. (I haven't tried many). Still excited to try out the med. grind Mo'i this weekend.

It left me with a nice, light sense of pleasantness throughout the day but didn't feel dissociative at all. I was able to work efficiently, then go to the store, make dinner, etc. without feeling "stoned" so to speak...

I've got some Pouni Ono coming tomorrow from KWK, and have read its effects are similar to Mo'i, so I'm curious to try that out as well. So far I'm pretty sure I like the "headier" kavas. I don't like being laid out or couch-locked...

Bradley666

Kava Enthusiast
Nice :)
The Moi and pouni ono are kinda simular, but also different...both give nice light clear headdy effects...but I feel the pouni ono has little more body relaxation...and stronger. And definitley longer lasting then moi....
Both are great though....would like to hear your thoughts on the pouni ono when you get it to compare the two....

Jonathan

All Hail Leon
Well, I don't normally post online this early in the morning, but I had to share this. I had Mo'i yesterday (as I said), and I woke up with the sunrise this morning feeling totally refreshed, alive, awake, and ready to do what needs to be done today. It's kind of strange. I don't feel buzzed or anything, I just feel peaceful and quite frankly, incredible. This is quite a thing!

I just sat outside for a little while, the geese are flying north, the sky is clear, the sun is peeking over the hills, and it's about 55 degrees. I really felt/feel a sense of calm and oneness with creation today. I don't mean to over-sell it, but I haven't felt this way in the morning in quite some time!

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Well, I don't normally post online this early in the morning, but I had to share this. I had Mo'i yesterday (as I said), and I woke up with the sunrise this morning feeling totally refreshed, alive, awake, and ready to do what needs to be done today. It's kind of strange. I don't feel buzzed or anything, I just feel peaceful and quite frankly, incredible. This is quite a thing!

I just sat outside for a little while, the geese are flying north, the sky is clear, the sun is peeking over the hills, and it's about 55 degrees. I really felt/feel a sense of calm and oneness with creation today. I don't mean to over-sell it, but I haven't felt this way in the morning in quite some time!
Fantastic, Jonathan! You've very articulately described my Mahakea Mornings(tm). It's a great feeling. Mo'i gives me the cloud-under-my-chair feeling during a session, and often the next morning. Heady kava makes for good mornings for me, where as heavy kava makes me way too comfortable in bed to bother with getting up.

Jonathan

All Hail Leon
Hokay, I've gotten to try both now and I'll do my best to give a good comparison. I've already described the feeling of Mo'i, as have others here, so I'll just try to stick to a comparison between the two.

The instant I feel set in more quickly than the med. grind, most likely due to taking all of the contents into the body and not straining it out. The med. grind took a bit longer, say about 35-45 minutes, to set in. The instant had a much "sharper" feeling, like the effect was juuust a bit stronger, and kind of grabbed my attention, like "hey, this is happening right now." The med. grind had the same overall effects but it has a wider range, so to speak. Where the effect of the instant was easily discernible, the effect of the med. grind kind of came and went over the course of a few hours. Sometimes it would rise, then fade away for a few minutes, rise again, etc... The instant didn't do that, it just stayed with me.

I kind of enjoy the traditional prep, but of course it takes time, and it's nice to have a sink handy for washing up. I just made 3 tbsp. of the med grind for my Sunday morning, kneaded for about 25 minutes, then did a second wash in a little less water and mixed the two together. I'm noticing that 3 tbsp. of med. grind has about the same effect as 1.5 tbsp. of the instant, which makes sense since @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava says the makas are removed in the instant, and from what I've seen that's about 50% of the weight, maybe a little less.

Important note: neither the instant nor the med. grind had any negative gastrointestinal effects on me at all. However when I took micronized Mahakea, I noticed just a tiny bit of GI upset (very minimal and I wouldn't have noticed had I not compared to instant), perhaps due to the slightly larger particle size vs. instant?

Overall, bang for buck, I think they're actually about the same, perhaps a little more "buck" for the instant, however the same effects can be felt with less of the material AND less of the prep time. It's just harder on the wallet to take a bunch of it. Next time I have some extra $$ I'll be ordering more of the instant, but for the time being and I think for a regular-basis kind of thing, the med. grind is more affordable, and that's a nice trade-off for me despite the prep time, which is really only about 30 minutes. Not very much time out of a day.

Hope that helps anyone who's wondering about the differences between the two. :)

Edit: just wanted to add that I prepared the med. grind by kneading it in a cotton muslin bag in water. I think this afternoon I'll try the blender method and see how that compares. Maybe blend for about 4 minutes on high then strain through my Aeropress with the muslin as the filter instead of the paper coffee filter. I'll report back on how that goes...

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
@Jonathan I like the way you describe instant as "sharp". I 100% relate to that. Nakamal @ Home's Shaman Instant has an impressive sharpness to it. So much so that I actually don't like it for that reason.

Bradley666

Kava Enthusiast
yes great comparison!
I have the moi instant and love it :) nothing better if your in a hurry and dont have the time for traditional method , I think very soon I need to get another instant to try, something I haven't yet tried...maybe something on the heavier side?
But yes, the moi is great...2 tsp in 4 oz of water and drank quick, goes to work FAST, if you dont have much in your belly!
Effects are great as well, a nice calm peaceful slightly energetic happy and heady buzz... :)

greenbeen

Kava Enthusiast
@Jonathan I like the way you describe instant as "sharp". I 100% relate to that. Nakamal @ Home's Shaman Instant has an impressive sharpness to it. So much so that I actually don't like it for that reason.
This made me laugh really hard for some reason. Great way to come home after a long day.

greenbeen

Kava Enthusiast
While were talking about instants though, which would be the preferred choice for an evening instant with sedating and muscle melting traits, possibly bliss feeling as well?
I have my moi micro for anti anxiety and energetic traits for my daytime kava just looking for some educated suggestions for evening kava?

Status
Not open for further replies.