What's new

Kava... what's the catch?

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
So to sum up this thread at this point:

Kava Downsides:

1. Dermopathy (very dry, flaky skin in patches)
2. Dry skin (hands, lips)
3. Gassiness
4. Nausea
5. Taste
6. Hangover (residual tiredness)

How about upsides now? I'll start:

Greatly reduced social anxiety during and after a kava session.

blindy107

Kava Lover
@Sadie so glad to hear you are ok. I must have missed some posts in this thread! So it wasn't the pityriasis rosea rash? Do you happen to recall the name of yor infection? What a scary experience...

When it comes to over krunkedness I've found that loud and aggressive mental stimulation can dull it a bit. The opposite of the dark, quiet, meditative state we seek when looking to boost the kava effects.

Listening to the kava vs. telling it what to do.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Did you mean how long it takes for them to happen?

Most of these are acute, they will happen after you drink kava. You might get nauseous, dehydrated or something. You'll feel better in a few hours.

Dermopathy takes a couple weeks to crop up generally, but depends on how much and how frequently you consume kava. Some people don't get it.

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
@Sadie so glad to hear you are ok. I must have missed some posts in this thread! So it wasn't the pityriasis rosea rash? Do you happen to recall the name of yor infection? What a scary experience...

When it comes to over krunkedness I've found that loud and aggressive mental stimulation can dull it a bit. The opposite of the dark, quiet, meditative state we seek when looking to boost the kava effects.

Listening to the kava vs. telling it what to do.
Hi, thank you. My virus (I think) is Bornholm Disease or Coxsackie B virus - this cause's a rash among other more scary symptoms like pain in the chest. The rash has gone and the headaches although still some pain around my ribcage - I had some Kava yesterday evening and it seemed to relax the muscle tightness which was good.

I think you're right about the loud/aggressive mental stimulation - not what I want. I think I'm getting that to enhance the experience I need quiet, peace and maybe some chlling music....thanks for the tip

Steve Mariotti

Review Maestro
Do you work with children? Coxsackie makes the rounds at schools in these parts. Easily transmissible via touch.

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
Do you work with children? Coxsackie makes the rounds at schools in these parts. Easily transmissible via touch.
Hi. No I don't work with children but am going to see my 2 nieces over Easter - have stayed away from home for too long, one is 2 and the other 9 months old - do you think this is dangerous for them?

It's doing the rounds big time here...headaches/rash/chest pain...I feel like I'm over it now but it lasted probably 5 weeks when the headaches started. I read it can be passed via saliva so was planning on taking my own mug with me so the kids are protected...never forgive myself if I made either of them sick

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
Sorry Steve Mariotti - I know this isn't a health information forum! Might I add one of the drawbacks I experience? Drinking so much water in the evening - which is when I have my Kava - means lots and I mean lots of waking in the night to use the bathroom...it's driving me nuts...struggle sometimes to get back to sleep...maybe I should start earlier and drink more in the day in prep for the Kava session in the evening?

Steve Mariotti

Review Maestro
Hi. No I don't work with children but am going to see my 2 nieces over Easter - have stayed away from home for too long, one is 2 and the other 9 months old - do you think this is dangerous for them?
I would consult your doctor about that, I honestly don't know. Probably not, but I'm no MD.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Sorry Steve Mariotti - I know this isn't a health information forum! Might I add one of the drawbacks I experience? Drinking so much water in the evening - which is when I have my Kava - means lots and I mean lots of waking in the night to use the bathroom...it's driving me nuts...struggle sometimes to get back to sleep...maybe I should start earlier and drink more in the day in prep for the Kava session in the evening?
Unfortunately, kava itself is actually a diuretic, like coffee. But drinking water is essential for that reason.

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
Unfortunately, kava itself is actually a diuretic, like coffee. But drinking water is essential for that reason.
I hear you, I really do but I live in a very old rambling cottage with a downstairs bathroom and it's like an obstacle course to get to it so I'm awake by the time I get there! Strangely since I started to drink Kava I only have 2 cups of coffee in the morning and that's it - used to drink it throughout the day so I guess that's a plus

verticity

I'm interested in things
I hear you, I really do but I live in a very old rambling cottage with a downstairs bathroom and it's like an obstacle course to get to it so I'm awake by the time I get there! Strangely since I started to drink Kava I only have 2 cups of coffee in the morning and that's it - used to drink it throughout the day so I guess that's a plus
Well, you could try drinking your kava earlier in the day. Or a catheter or bedpan lol.

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
Or I could wee in bed although I don't think hubby would like it....or get our act together and put a bathroom in upstairs...don't think I would like to start Kava session earlier...have drank 2 litres of sparkling water so far today so going to see how I feel tomorrow if I don't drink anymore

Steve Mariotti

Review Maestro
Kava Downsides:

1. Dermopathy (very dry, flaky skin in patches)
2. Dry skin (hands, lips)
3. Dehydration
4. Gassiness
5. Nausea
6. Taste
7. Hangover (residual tiredness)

I inserted Dehydration at #3, below Dry Skin but above Gassiness as I know not everyone experiences gassiness, but dehydration and the need to drink lots of water (and pee a lot) are more prevalent.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I would just put gastrointestinal discomfort alongside nausea. Mild cramping, bloating, etc. Easily overcome with planning and moderation though.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
You definitely can build up a tolerance.
I have been drinking kava regularly for 20 years, and started in the 90's when I was in Vanuatu for 4 years. When I left Vanuatu, after drinking 5-6 hours each night, I could drink up to 20 shells - almost 2 litres. Friends that had the occasional social visit to nakamals were having maybe 4-5 shells.
The last 5 years or so I have been drinking dry kava from Samoa or Tonga, again maybe 1-1.5 litres of strong mix per session, but whenever I visit Vanuatu every 18 months or so and go and have some real fresh kava again....wham!... I am ready to go home after 4-5 shells for the first few nights till I get back into the groove and my tolerance creeps up again.

I never got bad skin, but always drink a lot of water during the daylight hours. Vanuatu friends that never drank anything but coke and coffee during the day soon took on the reptilian look.