What's new

Powdered Kava Review Pouni Ono

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
logo-kalm-01.png

Pouni Ono, Tonga ('Ata cultivar)
For the sake of clarification, I'll start by saying, the true name of this kava is "Ata". Pouni Ono is a way for the farmer to put his name on the product.
Ata is said to be a dwarf version of the Lau Fulufulu cultivar. Another popular Tongan kava has been sold with the name Fu'u and I wonder if that is just a variant of Fulu, as Dr. Lebot's book make's no mention of "Fu'u". It's always hard to get definitive names on these things because the islanders themselves often do not know or agree on the same names.

As for the kava, I loved it. I only had two nights with it, so I don't have it completely figured out yet, but it was good enough to have me eager to buy a full bag and really get into it. The chemotype is said to be identical or similar to Mo'i or 'Ava Lea. Despite Mo'i and 'Ava Lea having a nearly identical chemotype, my experience with them shows a slight difference. Somehow, Mo'i seems to be strictly heady and only mildly sedating later into the session. Whereas 'Ava Lea seems to have a mild sedation and looseness to it soon into the experience. My experience with Pouni Ono is closer to my experience with 'Ava Lea, which is a perk to me because I prefer my kava to be less one-sided. Hawai'i's 'Mapulehu' cultivar is another one that felt very similar to me. Almost identical, as I recall.

The smell was pretty earthy, with a hint of creaminess. Similar to some of the more robust Hawaiian varieties. The same goes for the flavor, it wasn't quite as light tasting as other Tongan kava's I've tried, but nothing close to being strongly bitter or piney. Licking the dry powder off my finger had a distinct hint of sweetness to it, which was a first for me, but this flavor didn't seem to make it's way into the kneaded grog.

Effects came on quickly and were more noticeable than I would have expected from my previous Tongan experiences. There was a fast onset of relaxation, contentment and delight. I felt light and loosened up, as I'd expect from a good kavain kava...but there was an added bonus. I felt a gentle non-groggy sedation along with it, the kind that makes my eyelids become a little droopy and makes you feel a bit 'cozy'. My perception of the world is altered for the better, ever so slightly. The 1st shell felt so nice, I thought the following shells would seriously 'Tong' me. But, as the kavain strains often do with me, they can be a tease. Hinting at greatness that will only get greater, then dropping back down etc...

By the time I finished my whole batch, I was feelin' very nice again. But, to make sure I got the most out of my limited time with it, I squeezed out a 2nd and 3rd wash of my spent root and chased it down with a small Chimichanga....bo0m...

Poof_Effect_(Old)2.gif

::ooooohhhhz::
...that's when I got hit with full wash of kava flowing through my entire being. It was nearly perfect and when I get around to trying another bag of this, I'll see how easily repeatable it is. My body is often incredibly resilient to it, but every once in a while, certain strains seems to fit the key hole perfectly. Perhaps this is one of them,
Another worthy find @Kalm with Kava

::happyshell::

clear.png
clear.png
snob-50-gif.gif

Last edited:

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Awesome Review. I'm all in for participating in "Project Keyhole". I commit to being dedicated and train until I earn a promotion to Kava Snob, Jr.

(p.s. Because you mention the same chemotype of two different strains with subtly differing results. I would really be happy if you could weigh in on the effects caused by the six major kava lactones, to support or refute @kavadude's assertion that only type 2 and 4 are the predominant factors in effects.)

Last edited:

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
@HeadHodge I cleaned this up for you to use:
seal-hodge.png

As for the feelings associated with different kavalactones, it's a very loose study.
Kava professionals have theorized that the combination as a whole is more important than any one lactone and that there are also likely to be other minor chemicals responsible for changing the experience slightly.

Being that 4(kavain) and 2(dihydrokavain) are the most frequent to appear in the highest percentage of the chemotype, then they are the first and most predominant factor to consider when trying to gauge what a kava might feeling like. But you have to consider their percentages in relation to each other as well.
For example, 2 kavas can have the same chemotype 423651, but one might have nearly equal percentages of (4) and (2), while the other might have several fewer % points of (2). Even though the chemotype reads the same, that could have a slightly perceptible difference between them.

You also have to consider where (5) is placing itself. DHM is an important factor on the effect. The higher (5) creeps up, the more sedating, body heavy, dopey, stomach turning and powerful it will feel. Especially if (2) is in the first three numbers of the chemotype with it.

In general, when I see a chemotype start with (2)4xxxx, but doesnt have (5) in the first three. It will be a dreamier, calmer kava that's just a nice step outside of the full kavain kavas. Light sedation, right off the bat but still heady as well. If I see (4)2xxxx, It going to be largely heady and take several shells for a noticeable (2) effect to start kicking in. They don't slow you down as much. On the extreme end 463xxx or 463xxx would probably be the absolute lightest head-only, clear thinking, fully functional kava.

Things start creeping into the deep side, when you see 245xxx. These can be noble or "Medicinal" kavas, but not always. It's because of the (2) and (5) being together and close to the front. There's still a lot of kavain, but now you have two different long lasting sedater's working together. I often love these kavas because they are strong, heavy and heady. But sometimes the happy headiness can be a slightly more elusive. By the time you have a head krunk your body is soft, loose and lazy as well. Full spectrum. 245xxx's can also be attained by spiking noble kava with tudei kava.

If you get to a point where (2) and (5) lead the chemotype, with 4(kavain) trailing behind. 254xxx. It's certainly a tudei kava. Strong sedation, groggy, loopy, deep relaxation, nauseating & long lasting.

Last edited:

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Awesome reply. Thank you very much. I will incorporate this somehow into The Kavapedia. (y)

I think it kinda sucks that chemotypes aren't able to better describe relative amounts of each lactone. Maybe it would helpful if they could adopt some sort of additional digit. Maybe something like 48 26 11 x x x. where the eight means 80% the 6 means 60% and so on. One can dream right??

D

Deleted User01

Good review Shakas! I guess the Fulu Fulu Lounge is going to give the Bunga Bunga Lounge a run for its money.

blindy107

Kava Lover
@shakas did you get around to trying another bag? The effects seemed pretty reproducible to me throughout my 1lb supply. Just curious if you found the same to be true. I'm making it part of my permanent rotation.

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
@shakas did you get around to trying another bag? The effects seemed pretty reproducible to me throughout my 1lb supply. Just curious if you found the same to be true. I'm making it part of my permanent rotation.
not yet, been sampling my new local tongan and fijian hook up...definitely wanna come back around on this one though.

blindy107

Kava Lover
I just ordered more. I love it. I can't get reviews to work on my phone for some reason. I'm missing some options. I'll have to find a PC

Kava Kava R us

\Bula/ As another shell goes down!
Kava Vendor
Awesome reply. Thank you very much. I will incorporate this somehow into The Kavapedia. (y)

I think it kinda sucks that chemotypes aren't able to better describe relative amounts of each lactone. Maybe it would helpful if they could adopt some sort of additional digit. Maybe something like 48 26 11 x x x. where the eight means 80% the 6 means 60% and so on. One can dream right??

It's out there HeadHodge, just not commonly posted.

\Bula/ as another shell goes down! 123445um67? why not. Have fun everyone!

Mark

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
Only been able to try a couple Tongans in the about 2 years I've been drinking kava but this one easily takes top spot. Kava by Rex's Tongan was pretty good but Nakamal @ Home's Tongan was probably too old and smelled and tasted like someone had ground up bad incense sticks in it. Weird stuff. Anyway, this one was nice and fresh. Hella oily also, haven't come by too many kavas like that. A testament to the fresh quality.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Only been able to try a couple Tongans in the about 2 years I've been drinking kava but this one easily takes top spot. Kava by Rex's Tongan was pretty good but Nakamal @ Home's Tongan was probably too old and smelled and tasted like someone had ground up bad incense sticks in it. Weird stuff. Anyway, this one was nice and fresh. Hella oily also, haven't come by too many kavas like that. A testament to the fresh quality.
Have you tried KavaBoy's tongan? It's within spitting distance of Pouni Ono but usually requires a little more ground root to get you there.

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
I also ordered some. I don't really expect anyone but GHK to be maka free. GHK doesn't have a middleman, unless you count a couple of the strains that come from other islands.

Bradley666

Kava Enthusiast
Kalm with kava's pouni ono is great! seems like I say that daily lol :p
Its certainly got to be one of the cleanest, clearest, light energy given , heady and happy kavas, hehe :)
I will definitely keep some on hand at all times, or try to!