What's new

Kava for pain relief suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScreamingMimi

Kava Curious
I have ME/CFS and with that huge sleep problems. I tried some basic OTC Kava a few nights ago and besides that I slept great it hugely relieved my pain, which was an unexpected surprise.

I tried 500 mgs again to see if it was a fluke and it was not. So that sent me on my mission to find a lower dose I can take to use for pain. Also I probably won't feel as wasted on it. I'd like a tablet or a capsule I can split to get a lower dose but it's hard to find out how things are processed. I'd prefer something not used with alcohol (aside from the gross taste).

Are there anything like that? I saw the Standard Process but that is just way to expensive. And because of my health I am not able to make my own.

Thanks in advance for help with this. Even if I can take something in the mornings only to take the edge off the pain that'd be huge!
Thanks

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
There are no kava tablets or capsules I'm aware of that I would recommend purchasing. I would recommend trying some instant, perhaps from Gourmet Hawaiian Kava, and if you like it you can make your own capsules.

Pink

Kava Curious
kava kava has its magic on relieving pain muscle stress instantly and promoting sleep.
But as other member said even thou there are extracts and capsules-no one really uses them as too much ingredients are mixed into them and what not.
best bet is instant,but if you want bang for the buck-root is way to go,yes it takes time to prepare/choose strain but in reality its only 30min at max for 1-3 days batch which you can store in the fridge,given that you dont use milk in the process as id imagine it would go bad after day or so with water in it.

ScreamingMimi

Kava Curious
Because I am mostly bed bound, I cannot manage 30 minutes to boil the root. I found some instant so i'm going to try that.

Thanks for the help.

Pink

Kava Curious
^^ sorry didnt realize you are bed bound,so yeah give a shot for the insant,its takes same amount of time like making tea,well less you dont need to boil water.For extra you can add milk or other fat solubles-depending on taste whatever people like to use,if its any issue to you.

ScreamingMimi

Kava Curious
No problem I'm new to kava, it was a happy accident that it got rid of my pain. I read that the more you take it the more it builds up in you so you get a cumulative effect. My wording, I can't quite remember.

So my thoughts are to take a low dose every day so I don't get "high" and it slowly eases my pain.

I also wonder can I take the instant in a cap? I don't necessarily need immediate relief. If not I have an electric kettle but beyond that I wouldn't know what to do with the instant. I'm seriously a newbie!

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
You don't need to heat any water, you can just mix it with water and drink it. It tastes gross but this is a small price to pay for the benefits.

ScreamingMimi

Kava Curious
Someone somewhere said it tastes like monkey ass so I'm expecting some grossness. Nasty taste far outweighs the benefit I will get from this.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I've sampled monkey ass extensively and I think it's a stretch to say kava tastes that good.

That said, the instant is the best tasting short of fresh, and can be covered up quite effectively with sweetener, juice, etc.

ScreamingMimi

Kava Curious
Not being a monkey ass expert like yourself, I'll take your word for it! Can I just cap it and by pass the funk taste? Otherwise I'll get creative.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Sure, depending on how much you need to take. It's really not THAT bad though, give the instant a try.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Being bed bound is typically the end result of any good kava session, so feel free to experiment with different strains to find one that best suites your needs. I personally find most kavas to have a fairly mild effect on pain...but they almost always benefit my sleep. It seems to me, that the heavier sedating kavas relieve pain better, as they have more of a full body buzz.

ScreamingMimi

Kava Curious
I'm periodically bed bound because of a disease I have, not kava use. If I can take the edge of the pain that is fine because I can't function if I'm wasted.

As I've said, I don't have the energy or money to find strains I like. I'll get what is easy snd affordable.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Kava's a better anxiolytic/hypnotic than an analgesic. Low doses that don't get you buzzed can still work as an anxiolytic, but the same can't be said for it's use as an analgesic. I have chronic back problems and I wish kava worked better for it, but in my case, at least, it doesn't. You don't have to be wasted to get the benefits, but the more you feel it psychoactively, the better it treats symptoms...especially when it comes to pain relief, since most strains are incredibly mild pain relievers.

Easy and affordable don't really go hand-in-hand with kava, the easiest kavas to prepare (instants and micronized) are typically the most expensive...and if you're not willing to try various strains, you might not find one that has enough pain relief for you.

Last edited:

ScreamingMimi

Kava Curious
Thanks for the information on how Kava works on pain vs. anxiety. The problem I have with taking the amount I need for pain relief is that it amplifies some other brain issues I have to a point where I can't even put 2 words together. It's hard to explain.

I'll just have to experiment with things and see what works. Worst case if I'm having a bad day I can just take 500 mgs and enjoy the ride. Kava is a luxury right now not a necessity. I just don't have the money or the energy to do much more than what I'm doing.

I appreciate your help.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
I've sampled monkey ass extensively and I think it's a stretch to say kava tastes that good..
I've described the taste as "rhino anus" and "monkey diarrhea" to a few people. I don't know why they seem reluctant to join me in a few shells.

The funny thing is, after becoming sensitized (overcoming the reverse tolerance, which took a couple weeks for me) the taste is now something I actually enjoy. I used to chase a 4oz shot of it with a small piece of fruit to wash the rhino away, but now I let it linger in my mouth and tune into the various flavors and the numbness. I think it's because I like the feeling so much that now the flavor is part of the anticipation.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I've described the taste as "rhino anus" and "monkey diarrhea" to a few people. I don't know why they seem reluctant to join me in a few shells.

The funny thing is, after becoming sensitized (overcoming the reverse tolerance, which took a couple weeks for me) the taste is now something I actually enjoy. I used to chase a 4oz shot of it with a small piece of fruit to wash the rhino away, but now I let it linger in my mouth and tune into the various flavors and the numbness. I think it's because I like the feeling so much that now the flavor is part of the anticipation.
Hit the nail on the head with that post. It's definitely an acquired taste. Speaking of taste, the instant Nene from GHK is (for me) officially the best tasting kava I've ever had. I didn't even have rinse my mouth out after drinking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.