What's new

Kalm's Borongoru Root Powder

Status
Not open for further replies.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro

I'll do a full review after I finish the bag, but so far so good.
The stuff has a distinct scent, flavor and effect that I liken to certain balanced Hawaiian strains.
It's also reminiscent of a good Borogu. I felt the magic sparkle soon after my 2nd shell.
Time for some more.
::happyshell::

Edit: Full Review here

Last edited:

Wigman

Kava Enthusiast
I feel like the smell reminds me of Solomon's, but I've only ever had the one bag of Solomon's, so I don't really know that I'm remembering correctly.

In any case, it's good stuff!

blindy107

Kava Lover
@Kalm with Kava Mike! I am having trouble ordering root and a new strainer on your site. I can't add both to my paypal cart. Is it going to double charge me shipping if they are separate orders?

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
Thanks Blindy! We're working on updating the shopping cart - right now though it will be charged as separate orders but there's no shipping charges for strainers.

blindy107

Kava Lover
to little too late....hahah! i play.. ::awesomesmiles::

but good to know, i may be back for more boronguru.

So does that muslin strainer get a little more forgiving over time? it seems to strain much more than my fijian bag by far. or maybe my fijian just allows too much through...it's all i have ever used.

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
to little too late....hahah! i play.. ::awesomesmiles::

but good to know, i may be back for more boronguru.

So does that muslin strainer get a little more forgiving over time? it seems to strain much more than my fijian bag by far. or maybe my fijian just allows too much through...it's all i have ever used.
They're the best strainers I've come across. They're durable enough for many sessions and stand up to some serious kneading. Just on the personal side, I prefer less sediment = less risk of angry belly later in the evening. [emoji37]

Last edited:

blindy107

Kava Lover
They're the best strainers I've come across. They're durable enough for many sessions and stand up to some serious kneading. Just on the personal side, I prefer less sediment = less risk of angry belly later in the evening. [emoji37]
Tried again...felt like I was squeezing too hard and getting nothing. Do I need to soak it first or something?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I use a single paint strainer for this grind and it works great.
Normally I would use doubled strainers or a fiji strainer.

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
Normally I'll put the kava in the bag, measure and dump the hot water in the bag and let it sit for 5-10 min. Then twist the top and knead it good in the water for 5-10 min. while alternating wringing the entire strainer out really good a couple times and kneading back in the water to get all the goodness out. This keeps it pliable. Chill & Drink!

Last edited:

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
I got my first bag of Borongoru last week and just brewed my first batch today. I bought it because I love Kalm with Kava Concentrate (it's so damn tasty!) which is a much more mellow effect than what I got from the borongoru, which is nice. I can mix it up depending on the mood and setting.
I've only yet brewed less than a pound of kava using traditional methods, having started out with instant and concentrates.
I have a really sensitive stomach (IBS has debilitated me on a few occasions, being so bad that I miss work and just lie in bed in pain for most of the day) so I was looking for something that wouldn't destroy me like I knew root-sediment preparations would. And that's borne out in my experiments: The instants or really finely ground stuff (I got some Tongan from N@H as my first bag of the Real Stuff) twist my guts into a gurgling mess for the day or so afterwards.
I tried the Borongoru because the grind seemed (in the pictures on the website) to be coarser and I figured that would work better with me triple-nylon-paint-strainer bags preparation technique. And so far, i would say that is true.

The Borongoru is heady (as opposed to body-cripply) and makes me feel slightly ecstatic and open. It was an easier brew with less kneading than the Tongan and required fewer passes through the filter to get all the sediment out.

I'll report back on my after-effects some time tomorrow, but I'm super happy with my purchase and really amazed by the quality of the Kalm products. Nice job over there guys!

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.