What's new

New endeavor by Noble Kava

Status
Not open for further replies.

Admin

Administrator
If you're not on facebook or twitter you may not have seen Andrew's latest announcement.

A letter has been written to be communicated to chiefs in Tanna: We are asking for permission to call what we are working on a "nakamal." Initial steps have been taken to develop a place west of Asheville to drink kava outdoors, in a natural setting, in peace and quiet, without generating any profit. Instead, we plan to charge $1-$2 per shell, and anything that does not pay for the kava itself will go toward projects in the villages of central Tanna. Please keep your fingers crossed, and look for the potential opening of the first true "nakamal" in the US in the next month or two. We are reaching one of the most exciting moments in Noble Kava history, and are very happy to have you along as a part of it!
Facebook Link

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
They are being a bit pretentious (and perhaps misleading by saying that they are getting a "permission" when all they are getting is a high five or a polite nod), but at the same time it's cool they are trying to make their place a bit more "authentic" and in the spirit of the islands (I would certainly want to visit their nakamal). I am sure that many customers will appreciate it.

And yes, customers. I really don't understand why so many businesses selling exotic or healthy products feel the need to publicly apologize or express regrets that they are making any kind of profits or that they are profit-oriented. The opposite of profit is loss. Can anyone really want kava shops or bars to be aiming for a loss?
Bar owners/vendors make an effort and take risks for the drinkers and it is only right that kava drinkers should be paying for the vendors' labour.
When I went to Tonga I went to a few local "kava clubs". Everyone there was putting some money in the kitty that was used to pay for the kava and for the girls making it. It probably also covered the costs associated with with the kava club's venue. Nobody saw any problem with that and we are talking about very informal establishments. So it's not just "out society". In every society people compensate each other for labour, effort and time. In some places they use money to do that, in others they use barter, and in many smaller communities they rely on some sort of "credit system". The Western belief that if there is no receipt and a fixed price expressed in USD then things are "free" is simply astonishing.

violet

Do all things with love
Whatever the "permission" exists to serve, the first thought that came to my mind was that opening a nakamal in every sense of the word with the permission of chiefs in Tanna is illustrative of the deep respect that is to be had for the culture surrounding the traditional nakamal. Sure we have a lot of things like burger joints, in which over the years the world over has bastardized and hybridized into a myriad of restaurants that bear little resemblance to the diners of the 1920's and their predecessors. We also have places that call themselves nakamals and serve kava.

I think that creating something that is meant to fully represent a traditional nakamal and calling it a nakamal outside of its "native" setting is taking something that is incredibly important to the cultural identity of a group of people and placing it in a venue where exposure of the idea may eventually lead to its watering down there. Not always a bad thing, it is part of the melding that happens as world moves into existing as a more global population. But the possibility always exists when we start pulling traditions from one cultural setting and placing them into another, and I think it is only proper to get permissions and the blessings of the chiefs from Tanna before doing so.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Some good thoughts, @violet . (y)

But at the same time I wouldn't exaggerate the cultural importance of "nakamals". They seem to be the socio-cultural equivalents of pubs (traditional "public houses") - i.e. places for men (tradtionally only men! :() to gather, discuss politics, life and plans for the future over a cup of some slightly intoxicating beverage. Just like pubs, nakamals have never been temples with priests.

hyperdown

Kava Curious
Wow, this would be great - I live in West Asheville!

Hopefully this won't be like Andrew's downtown kava bar, where i have been 3 times and rarely see anyone else drinking kava. It's all kids drinking kr@^0m, sigh.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Wow, this would be great - I live in West Asheville!

Hopefully this won't be like Andrew's downtown kava bar, where i have been 3 times and rarely see anyone else drinking kava. It's all kids drinking kr@^0m, sigh.
I noticed the amount of kids ordering K@ drinks too, however I did get my money's worth when my wife and I were sitting, killing some time in the bar. We got to watch a new kava customer take his first sip of kava. It was rather funny. the face he made was priceless.

Status
Not open for further replies.