What's new

Kava is making me feel very sick

Nttawty

Kava Curious
Hi guys. I haven't been on this site in awhile. Mainly because for a long time I didn't want anything to do with kava but now I miss it and am wondering if there are any remedies for my problems..

The story: A while back (about 5 months ago) I came on this site looking for recommendations on what kava to buy and all of you were very helpful and told me to get boroguru. I did, made it, tasted it, and felt some pretty good effects not long after taking it. It's safe to say that I got hooked and had some pretty much everyday. After my boroguru bag ran out I decided maybe I should try some different kinds so I went with WOW which was also pretty awesome. Well, for a while (about 2 weeks) I say everything was good but then all of the sudden kava started making me very sick. I had gotten a very bad cold one time and thought that maybe taking it would make me feel better.. I was so wrong it made me feel 1000x worse. So I figured maybe it made me feel that way because my body couldn't handle it at the time, so I waited until my cold was gone and took it about a week later and again it made me feel extremely bad. I thought that maybe the cold wasn't fully gone from my system so once again I waited, but this time longer. I'd say I waited another 2 weeks or so and gosh as soon as I took it I felt extremely horrible again. It made me extremely itchy, I felt very cold, I could hardly stand up and I felt over all calmly and very very sick. I dunno if maybe it was the batch of kava I had gotten but I tried 2 other kinds and they made me feel the same way. So now, I'm terrified to try any kava again. Has anyone else felt this way? I really do miss the good feelings that I temporally had gotten from kava and would like to experience it again so any help to figure this out would be appreciated.

D

Deleted User01

I can't be sure of how much Tudei you are consuming from blended Kavas so it's hard to say if that is the problem. The Nene from GHK is the top of the list of Nobility and the islanders used to give it their sick children. The GHK Nene is too strong for children but you could try the Nene instant and see how that works for you. If that makes you sick, then you have to give up Kava. Also, be sure to space out your shells in 20 minute intervals and stop when you fee the good effects.

Nttawty

Kava Curious
I can't be sure of how much Tudei you are consuming from blended Kavas so it's hard to say if that is the problem. The Nene from GHK is the top of the list of Nobility and the islanders used to give it their sick children. The GHK Nene is too strong for children but you could try the Nene instant and see how that works for you. If that makes you sick, then you have to give up Kava. Also, be sure to space out your shells in 20 minute intervals and stop when you fee the good effects.
Forget to mention that I was taking powder by its self.. Toss & wash.

D

Deleted User01

Forget to mention that I was taking powder by its self.. Toss & wash.
Oh, minor omission. :whistle: NOT! Well then if it hurts when you do dat, then don't do dat. :ROFLMAO: Honestly, quit toss and washing and go ahead and try the instant kava and see how that works. If the instant works out, then proceed to some NOBLE kava powder and strain it real good. It may very well be the Makas or rough fibers that are killing you. And if those are Tudei Fibers, it is possible that they carry undesirable chemicals that your body can't handle. You should also try Micronized that has no Makas but I would still recommend that you strain it for good measure.

If the side effects persist, it may be that Kava is just not for you. Good Luck!

BULABUCK

ROOTLYFE.
:happy:Yea that too.But really go Noble and see if that works if not u are allergic. and that sux. But i doubt it since it worked a few times no side effects . I bet its the toss and wash.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I agree with the admonishment not to toss and wash. Some people seem to tolerate it very well but if you can't, you can't.

I had a similar experience, I drank kava while in the very early stages of a cold and threw up. After that, I couldn't seem to keep it down and would get very nauseated and sometimes throw up after drinking. So I bought some ginger beer as an antiemetic and drank that alongside my kava and after a week or two of that I could have my kava normally without it. I think it was more of a psychological thing and maybe taking something for the symptoms for a short time will help. Maybe half a benadryl or something for the itchiness/nausea?

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
Toss and Wash is not Kastom. You can do it if you want and if it doesn't make you sick, but it's not Kastom.

Kastom is very, very important if you're going to be drinking kava every day. Kastom is at the root of the Nobility controversy.

Even I find the Toss and Wash hard to handle and my guts can take some serious abuse. What you have been going through sounds horrible but maybe you can still coem out of this able to drink Kava :)

ShannyinSobriety

Kava Enthusiast
"I decided maybe I should try some different kinds so I went with WOW which was also pretty awesome. Well, for a while (about 2 weeks) I say everything was good but then all of the sudden kava started making me very sick." " It made me extremely itchy, I felt very cold, I could hardly stand up and I felt over all calmly and very very sick. I dunno if maybe it was the batch of kava I had gotten but I tried 2 other kinds and they made me feel the same way. " YES...YES...YES...! I tried WOW as a newbie and I got incredibly sick. This has been the only Kava that I have drank and my stomach has gone numb. I also spent a good deal of time throwing up and feeling like I had the spins, the weird eye tracer/hallucination experience and the issue of my legs not wanting to be useful when I walked down stairs. I never ordered that particular brand again. I would suggest that you may be drinking too much at a time? That always happens to me if I rush the shells. As for the itchy factor- I am naturally dry so Kava really makes me itch and flake, however it also kills the urge to drink alcohol so I pick my battles. I have drank Pediayte before during a session and used a good quality lotion like from Bath & Body Works and that seems to combat the dryspells. Something funny however is that I noticed when my husband was making kava one night, my hands got extreamly dry, almost instantanously- so now I am wondering, is it a physical symptom or it is like Pavlovian response to the idea of Kava lol. I'd just try smaller shells of maybe something really mello- like Melo Melo or Tongan Pride. One more thing- always be drinking something when you are having Kava, I really like those Juminex (Nectar Drink) it makes my stomach a little heavier and the Kava doesn't blast right to my head- although some people say have nothing in your stomach, I am very petite and sometimes it is too much, I end up feeling sick. SO I try to weigh my stomach down and that often helps the sick feeling.

ShannyinSobriety

Kava Enthusiast
Toss and wash makes me sick in all kinds of ways lol- not a good method I think. ( I think I over reacted a bit here) Toss and wash WOW makes me so sick I can't stand, however KBR brands didn't effect me this way, so I guess it depends.

Last edited:

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
I've only done toss-and-wash with the ISA from Kava By Rex. I know this sounds like I was looking to be wasted, but honestly I just loved the taste of it. I started mixing it with olive oil and using it as a salad dressing, and mixed it with P. nigrum as a steak seasoning. If I could bake worth a damn, I probably would have made biscuits out of it.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
is it a physical symptom or it is like Pavlovian response to the idea of Kava lol..
I've often wondered this myself. Even nearly 24 hours after drinking my kava, the minute I start thinking bout drinking my evening blend that night my hands get dryer than the desert, so I think you may be onto something there.

D

Deleted User01

We had a thread a few months back when I stated if anyone else felt the urge to have a BM before drinking kava. I was surprised at how many said yes. I though I was the only weird one. I think when you start thinking about chugging a big whole slimy nasty shell of kava, your stomach goes :eek:. So now we have another response which is the skin drying up in anticipation of a big old dyhydrating cup of Kava. This whole forum is composed of Kava Lab Rats. I think @Deleted User already knows that.