What's new

Physical size vs kava dosage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

karly

The fluffy pic.
Hi, I'm new to kava and I'm wondering if physical size can play a role in how much you should be using? I'm fairly small and not sure if the recommended dosage would be ok. That said, I can handle two 10-325MG Norco's at once and instead of knocking me out they jack me up and make me want to do things, like clean out a closet or something. I have them to help me sleep but they actually do the opposite. :(

Looking for something to help me relax/unwind and also help me sleep on occasion.

I was thinking of getting the paste and/or the micronized kava?

Edited to add that I purchased some from "realkava" and wonder if their kava is any good or not. I don't see it on the forum in the list of vendors so I have my concerns.

Thanks all!

Last edited:

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
It is always a good idea to start with small amounts. Not only because of differences in physical size, but also (or primarily) because everybody is different and we all react to kava differently. Start with 1/4 cup of kava to 1-1/5 cups of water and see how you feel. Alternatively, prepare 0/5 cup of powder to 2 cups of water, but at first only drink half of it. Wait for half an hour and see how you feel. If it doesn't work, you can always drink a bit more and study your reactions. The great thing about kava is that it tells you when you've had enough (provided you give it some time to react ;).

Cheers

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I've only tried realkava's instant and it was quite good, especially when mixed with pineapple juice. I am not sure if they do any proper tests and how pure their kavas are though..
I've also been quite surprised they do not have any presence here.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
@karly, Welcome to the forums!!!
Hello.gif

Many would say to use a powdered kava prepared the traditional style to start. But my personal preference would be to get a good kava extract (paste) or a good instant kava, or some micronized. I say that because I believe if you are new to kava, that is the easiest, simplistic way to get started.

If you use an extract, I recommend any of the ones from Paradise Kava. Take something like a table knife or your pinky finger and scoop a little glob (dollop) out of the jar and stick it under your tongue until it dissolves in your mouth.

For instant or micronized, I recommend starting with around two heaping teaspoons (or up to one fairly level tablespoon) and mix into about 12 oz. of cold water. Stir really well, and after each drink keep stirring. My favorites for that are from the vendors Bula Kava House (BKH), Gourmet Hawaiian Kava (GHK), and Nakamal @ Home (N@H).

Like @Henry G. says, go slow and pace herself, consuming more or less as needed to feel effects.

If that all works ok, then you can get into the nuances of the different strains (cultivars) of kava. Some will make you giddy and others will help take you to sleepy land.

Stay in touch and let us know how it goes. (y)

D

Deleted User01

Welcome to the forum Karly where all your Kava dreams will come true. :rolleyes: As Henry G said, wait between shells and that is about 20-30 minutes. Also, if you get all amped up with Kava and you feel like cooking up a storm or cleaning the garage then let me know and I'll give you my address. :D

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hello @karly, welcome to the forums. If you're looking for paste, unfortunately right now the premier kava extractor is down for "retooling" (Paradise Kava). He should be back next month with some really exciting new products. Let's just say Paradise Kava has spared NO expense in the newest iteration of the famous extracts they sell.

Micronized kava, however, is in great supply. Check out http://gourmethawaiiankava.com/ their micronized kavas are top notch.
Also one that I've heard is great is Bula Kava House's 11 Year Waka. It's so finely ground that it could be considered micronized.

Also realkava is the same company as Kava Kauai, and the owner, Garry, is a pretty great guy. So, have confidence in your kava there, because they're a reputable company.

Also something to keep in mind is never to mix any type of pain killers containing acetaminophen (Norcos) with kava. Kava may or may not be hard on your liver, but acetaminophen most certainly is horrible for it.

karly

The fluffy pic.
Awesome! Thank you all for the warm welcome! Being totally newbish to the whole affair I'll certainly take your advice! (so glad I found this forum) And I'll be sure to let you know how I weather through my first experience in kava-land... looking forward to it, weeeeeeeee!

One question, what about a glass of wine with it or is that a no-no? You may be thinking, "chill baby baby experience this on its own!" And that I will do but I'm thinking in the future of course, kava/glass of red/music/a fire/bath/the whole 9 and sorry for the visuals just typing out loud.

Do any of you drink this at work or before work. I own my own business and my time is spent consulting with staff and/or playing in my art studio so I'm hoping it will get those creative nuances flowing but at the same time I need to have my head intact.

Thanks Kap, it's good to know I made a good choice! Thanks for the "how to's" Hedge and Henry! In terms of the Norco, I take it once every 2/3 weeks when sleep has become foreign. Deleted User01 I'm just not that domesticated lol! :D

Kava hugs all around!

D

Deleted User01

have my head intact.
Deleted User01 I'm just not that domesticated lol! :D Kava hugs all around!
Aw jeepers, I was so NOT LOOKING FORWARD to cleaning the garage. Yes, I do own a business and I start my sessions at around 2:30. I do Kava about 4 days and 3 days are put aside for wine, beer, or single malt scotch. Since doing Kava, I noticed that alcohol has a greater effect on me so be careful there. There may have been a time or two when I had 1/2 glass of cold beer after doing Kava in the afternoon but I haven't done that in a while. You may not need the wine after you have the kava. I will do a heady kava during business hours and do Nene or Opihikao once at 5:30 and once an hour before bedtime. I have a feeling that you will be plenty relaxed with this routine and have no need for wine. If you get some instant kava, you can make a nice cold Kava cocktail and sip it in the bath tub. That can't suck. I would imagine that warm bath + cold Kava = Melt in Your Bed.

karly

The fluffy pic.
Haha! JMan, hire someone, that's my motto! :) And I love the sound of... "warm bath + cold Kava = Melt in Your Bed"

OK Kavameisters this is my 2nd order, how did I do? Bula Kava House: (I plan on trying different types and from different houses so I can find my faves)

Instant Kava Root Drink Mix
Borogu Kava Powder - (for sleep???)
11 Year Waka - Micronized Kava Root
Melo Melo Kava
Nambawan Kava - (once I'm in the groove) ~wink

I think I'll start off with the instant OR the 11 Year???

Kava Hugs all around! ♥

D

Deleted User01

That's a good variety from BKH. Just take notes as you progress thru them. Not everyone gets the same effects from the same Kava so heads up on that. Also, take notes on how you fell the next morning. A good Noble Kava will have you bouncing out of bed in the morning in very mellow frame of mind. A not so Noble Kava feels like a hangover.

When you say art studio, what kind of art? Did you do your own Avatar? Just curious.

karly

The fluffy pic.
Great! I really want to try the paste simply for the no fuss factor but will wait until you all say that a good one is live.

I paint in abstract design with watercolor and on the other side of my studio I make sterling silver jewelry for fun. I cannot draw a human form for the life of me. That said, my uncle is a very famous artist, brilliant man. I didn't get his niche for the human form but did get his niche for color. I would say he is more on the abstract side of things as well but he can paint/draw humans of which is extremely difficult. Although, I do paintings with a partial face, eyes, nose, lips or dripping hair, ect...

The avatar is from a pinup artist of when you send him a picture of yourself he creates a toon pinup from it. He's very good at what he does! :)

I gather you're a musician JMan? Guitar? I know a few very talented guitarists by the way. LOVE music!!! Can't imagine a life without it.

Kava hugs. ♥

D

Deleted User01

I love music and I love art but I have zero talent in the arts. I sit on the sideline and cheerlead. My first guitar teacher gave up on me when I couldn't master Tom Dooley. I kept hearing the kids outside playing ball and I was got antsy. I do have a good friend who has several galleries and does well with portraits too. Every once in a while she throws us a bone and we promptly hang it up on the wall.

verticity

I'm interested in things
One question, what about a glass of wine with it or is that a no-no?
Kava + alcohol is actually a BIG no-no, since they can intensify the effects of each other. Kava by itself I believe is safe for the liver, but mix it with alcohol and all bets are off.

karly

The fluffy pic.
Thanks verticity! I'll certainly be careful with it and not mix the two. I'm not a big drinker anyway so that'll be easy. Although I do like a glass now and then.

Deleted User01 you threw me when you said "session" I really assumed it was music related!

Kava hugs all around!

karly

The fluffy pic.
MY Kava is here!!! Woot woot! Will report to you all later... off on a journey to kavaland! :smug:

Kava hugs all around!

Status
Not open for further replies.