What's new

New Borogu and Melo Melo in Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
We've received the most recent batches of Borogu and Melo Melo. This is the nobleist damn kava you've ever seen. Queen Elizabeth is shitting her pants at the the immense nobility of this stuff. Just to confirm though, we will be sending samples to the lab in Vanuatu shortly.

Also worth noting is that this shipment is a coarse grind. I just made a some kava with it, and it makes great grog. I've employed some guinea pigs at the kava bar for testing, and they've all liked it. We're hoping the next batch is somewhere between this consistency and the very fine one we had most recently.

In any case, enjoy, and let us know what you think.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted User01

::frosty:: Everybody, do the bump, do the bump, do the bump till your satisfied. Hey, I drink Tudei everydei. It helps with that Zombie thing. So just chill and do the bump, do the bump, do the bump till your satisfied Where the feck is Shakas, we were going disco-ing tonite. Everyone one was Kung-Fu fighting ....

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Oh man, this new stuff is sweet. Literally, taste and smell, especially the Melo Melo. The scent of the Borogu is pretty peppery, as can be expected from Vanuatu Borogu, but stuill VERY nice. Melo Melo has always been my favorite, but this may be my favorite batch. Super heady, and very palatable.

I also ground it down a little smaller. It's pretty close to the perfect traditional grind size now.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
We've received the most recent batches of Borogu and Melo Melo. I cannot guarantee they are 100% these varieties because they have yet to be sent in for flavokavain and kavalactone testing. I was promised 100% noble, for what it's worth. We will be sending samples to Lebot's lab soon. If you guys want to wait for those results before buying, we understand.

Also worth noting is that this shipment is VERY coarsely ground. I just made a some kava with it, and you can still make great grog, but if you don't like coarse grinds, these aren't for you. I've employed some guinea pigs at the kava bar for testing, and they've all liked it. We're hoping the next batch is somewhere between this consistency and the very fine one we had most recently.

have you tested it yourself, I don't see how you could simply wait and not be a bit curios, post up some pics.
have you tested it yourself, I don't see how you could simply wait and not be a bit curios, post up some pics.
I'm drinking the hell out of it! It's fantastic! I'm not going to review my own product, but I'll give a few more comments and maybe post pictures later.

blindy107

Kava Lover
Melo Melo tastes like butt usually....is this one better and less butty? hahah! always had great effects though!

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Melo Melo tastes like butt usually....is this one better and less butty? hahah! always had great effects though!
This batch is way smoother than it has been. It is no longer unpeeled 100% lateral root, and is now half peeled basal stump or "chips". This makes a small difference in potency but a huge difference in taste.

blindy107

Kava Lover
very cool. when i burn through my last 2 lbs i may swing back to give it a try. While you are here @Judd Rench , was the last batch of koniak different in any way than about 6 months ago? it tastes a little lighter but also feels slightly weaker to me.

thanks for your contribution!

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
very cool. when i burn through my last 2 lbs i may swing back to give it a try. While you are here @Judd Rench , was the last batch of koniak different in any way than about 6 months ago? it tastes a little lighter but also feels slightly weaker to me.

thanks for your contribution!
This Koniak came from a different 'lot' so we had a new HPLC test done. It is a little lower in overall kavalactone percentage. This could be due to a higher concentration of "chips" in the mix, younger plants, or some other unexplained variance. Kavalactone % isn't as stable in kava as we would all like it to be. Good observation though, most people wouldn't have caught that.

Krunkmaster

You only live Once
We've received the most recent batches of Borogu and Melo Melo. I cannot guarantee they are 100% these varieties because they have yet to be sent in for flavokavain and kavalactone testing. I was promised 100% noble, for what it's worth. We will be sending samples to Lebot's lab soon.

Also worth noting is that this shipment is a coarse grind. I just made a some kava with it, and it makes great grog. I've employed some guinea pigs at the kava bar for testing, and they've all liked it. We're hoping the next batch is somewhere between this consistency and the very fine one we had most recently.

i ordered some i'll let you know how it goes!

Krunkmaster

You only live Once
mixed 4 table spoons in about 2 cups of water made a very smooth and tasty drink, i am still going through reverse tolerance so i only noticed a minor hypnotic and chilled out feeling. :)

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
That's good news for me, Judd. Will boroguru be coarser eventually as well?

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
That's good news for me, Judd. Will boroguru be coarser eventually as well?
Omg, if you only knew the effort that's going into making this new batch usable. It was way too coarse when it arrived due to a miscommunication with the supplier. It would have cost me over $1,000 to send it back to Vanuatu, plus at least three weeks to get it back. It would have cost me a similar amount to send it to a company in California with a hammer mill who Mills kava. They would have taken a month at least. There are no businesses in Portland with a hammer mill that they will use for kava. Buying a hammer mill would set me back thousands. So the answer? A cuisinart food processor. 10 lbs. takes over an hour to grind, and I have about 400 lbs. It's an absolute nightmare.

Turns out the supplier can at this point only mill to two sizes: This way too coarse grind, and the fine one we've had for the last year or so. The finer one makes good kava, and there's no way I'm going to do this cuisinart thing for all my orders. So the answer to your question is no. The next batch, which will include Boroguru, will be a fine grind. I promise you though that it really does make great kava. You just have to use the correct strainer. Our Fijian strainer bags work perfectly, and allow just the right amount of sediment through.

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
@Judd Rench for what it's worth I really, really like the grind of the recent batch of Melo Melo. I noticed it was a lot coarser than usual but I actually really like that aspect of it. I have a new Hamilton Beach grinder (about $20) and I just pout a bunch of root in there and grind away until I get it nice and fine. If nothing else, it appeals to me the same way that grinding coffee beans does before making coffee. Hopefully that grind wasn't a pain in the arse to deal with on your end of things but I, for one, am really enjoying it! Thanks for any and all effort you're going through to get us some good root!

The new batch of Melo Melo is just that. Nice and mellow, just kicking back listening to some music enjoying my weekend. ::shell::

Robert

Kava Curious
I just got through a bag of this, at first I didn't like it so much, took way to much kava to make a drink potent enough, but then I got to the bottom of the bag where all the finer grind had settled, apparently I was squeezing just the big wood chips, and that's where I finally got to know this kava better, and really like it, it was very calm and blissful, sometimes these other strong kavas including the old melo melo hit you pretty hard in an uncomfortable way that has you kind of on the edge of your seat, this new kava felt a little more like what I've been looking for in my evening brews, if the grind was finer it would for sure be stronger.

Status
Not open for further replies.