What's new

Power vs Taste when introducing kava

Doobie Doo

How many shells to get to the center..1 2 3
Ok, I'm shameless soliciting opinions.
I am in a position to introduce Kava to a new person. I've been asked to provide a recommendation for a particular product.

But I am on the fence. It seems to me, one can either try to go for the least offensive most palpable (in the hopes you won't completely turn them off after the first shell) or you go for really strong over powering in hopes of racing thru the reverse tolerance (maybe even a tudei cultivar.. which is what finally broke me in).
Or maybe I just suggest a sample pack from one of the vendors and leave it up to them.

I would be curious for any thoughts or experiences..

Thanks

D

Deleted User01

Sample pack and let them start with the Instant Kava at the beginning. Dump it in some orange juice or something like that. Then to Micronized also with Juice. Once they start feeling the effects, then they must do Powder to earn their stripes. I have always thought that instant is an easy way to break into Kava. It's painless and would be good for overcoming reverse tolerance. I'm always afraid that they will give it up after forcing down powder and then getting no effects. You are right their Doobie, least offensive on day one. Some people have bad reactions to Tudei so that's off the table.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
3 tablespoons of instant nene. That should give them a good idea of what kava's about without being overly sedating.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
@Gourmet Hawaiian Kava 's Hawaiian products offer a good balance of taste and potency. If you go for medium grind it will be easier to drink but the experience will be a bit smoother (which is not a bad thing at all), if you go for micronized then it will hit you (or your friend) harder and quicker, but the grittiness might make it a bit more difficult to drink.

If you prefer Vanuatu kavas then I am a huge fan of the puariki variety. It's so much better than borogu that I honestly do not understand why borogu is the variety of choice for so many vendors. Perhaps it's easier to confuse borogu with tudei when it comes to taste? :( So far it seems that JPT is the only vendor selling it. But be careful, while some of his batches are truly excellent (amazing, almost pleasant, taste and strong effects) other seem to be either spiked with other varieties (tudei? :nailbiting:) or, in his own words, contain "peelings". So if you choose to order from him make sure he guarantees you will be getting the pure, peeled type.

Doobie Doo

Thank you for the fast replies guys. I had not considered Instant.. but that totally makes sense. I think that's the way to go then. I've had GHK Instant Moi before (kept a stash in the drawer at work)... I have to go look up Nene reviews. I guess this also now my excuse to try Micronized.. You know all in the name of being a good friend, of course,.. I have to sample before I recommend... Time to hit the board reviews.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I hope you guys will report back with how the instant goes over. I was considering the same thing recently as I was visiting family in California and now they all want to try...but I'm not sure what to recommend. I'd hope that a couple tablespoons of quality instant and a namby pamby drink recipe would be enough for an enjoyable experience even for someone going through reverse tolerance, but I'm not sure.

D

Deleted User01

Namby pamby is the way to go for beginners. But you can't drink too many sugar filled drinks so try something like low sugar cranberry juice or even club soda and lime.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I'm on week 3 of 11 year waka (BHK micro) and still loving it. It's very mild tasting, it's smooth like an instant, no stomach issues (not even gas), and it kicks ass!!! I only need 1 heaping teaspoon (not tablespoon) mixed with 12oz of water in a wine glass with a little berry flavored Mio added to it. ::happyshell::

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
I think it's best to judge by asking probing questions about food choices, because at the end of the day it's all about the TAS2R38 gene.

I would argue that a true kavassuer is a subtaster. I could be wrong, and I do not want to denigrate anyone who is a normal taster or a pitiable supertaster.

The distinction between sub-, normal, and supertaster involves the sensation of bitter most strongly. A supertaster usually cannot tolerate bitter foods like coffee, grapefruit juice, dark chocolate... and the increase in taste buds usually yields a dislike for carbonation.

So, if you're discussing this over a dandelion kale salad and green tea with no honey or sugar, it may be just fine to feed them a nice, powerful, bitter kava.

Most (well, all) of the literature easily found on the Internet is all about the supertaster phenotype.

The one supertaster I know really dislikes the kava kava candy, but she'll take it when her TMJ becomes too debilitating, as it better and cheaper than an injection in the jaw.

blindy107

Kava Lover
I would say I border on supertaster as those "intolerable" foods mentioned by our friend Philip are uncomfortable to eat without added sweeteners. However, mind over matter is name of the game for me. I know the sweet nectar of the gods will bring relief so I choose to not acknowledge the taste. Or just namby pamby it up. I vote for my latest recipe entry ::awesomesmiles:: coconut oil, hot water, micronized root, mango nectar, blend and chill just enough to keep the oil from solidifying. oh and a dash of cinnamon!

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
If I'm tasting the kava something has already gone wrong in my process. I'm afraid of recommending my method of chugging half a big gulp of powdered root kava to beginners though

Doobie Doo

As someone trying to follow a closer to palo diet.. I rarely pare my Kava encounters with something sweet (either as a mixer or as a chaser). Give me something savory afterwards... However for a newbie at Kava.. why risk it.. Very few people I know dis like sweet things.. I say go sweet in a pinch, even if you have the palate of a Cordon Blue trained Culinary god.... Or heck, lots of sugar substitutes out there.. Go get some Crystal Light even.... When I drank my first instant.. it got paired with No Sugar Pomegrante Mix...

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
I have found the most important thing is explaining the difference between instant and powdered root kava as well as what to generally expect flavor wise from the various strains we have to pick from. I try and keep it simple. Vanuatu kava is generally stronger tasting while Hawaiian and Fijian is generally more mild.

In my 30+ sampling given out I find the ones that you just give kava to and don't really go over this potential range of tastes are somewhat more put off by it than those that know what they are getting into.

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
What I actually did was mix up a gallon of Fijian. I wanted to make sure it was a kava that promoted sociability, because I was sharing it with a friend who I was catching up on.