What's new

The Secret to My Micronized Kava

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
It sure is (not that I have anything to compare it to, but it is amazing). That was the micronized Moi. Is that the strongest one? Should I bother trying anything else, or is that as good as it gets? Like I say, I have nothing to compare it to, not having done it before, but I am pretty satisfied with the product...
My saying is if it ain't broke don't fix it. But then again I also say, variety is the spice of life!!! ::happyshell::

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
It sure is (not that I have anything to compare it to, but it is amazing). That was the micronized Moi. Is that the strongest one? Should I bother trying anything else, or is that as good as it gets? Like I say, I have nothing to compare it to, not having done it before, but I am pretty satisfied with the product...
I do not like to say that this kava is stronger than that one or anything like that. With my kava it is all very good and strong but you will find out that by experimenting with he dose of kava you will find different effects, for example with the Nene if you use just a little bit it is energizing but if you take more then it will put you to sleep. The Moi is a good strong kava but I also think you will like the Nene and the Opihikao.
Let me know if you have any other questions. Aloha.

Chris

starscolliding

Kava Curious
Is there a recommendation for which one comes close to Fire Island from NAH, that is what I'm used to. I tried Moi and it was interesting, first Kava I've had where it was mostly just heady but not overall 'stuffing me in a box' which can be good at times. Opihikao seems a lot closer, that might be the right one for me, but I'm wondering what others think who have tried them all or most personally. Those are the two I've tried from GHK with Fire Island these days being my reference.

I now understand that most micronized has Maka, GHK micronized doesn't have Maka. I'm confused about instant, I guess it is up to each manufacturer, do we know if Fire Island or Shaman has Maka removed?

Also, I think you need a bit more micronized to equal instant, no? It seems like 4 or 5 tablespoons of micronized equals three of instant? Or do other people see them as roughly equal?

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Is there a recommendation for which one comes close to Fire Island from NAH, that is what I'm used to. I tried Moi and it was interesting, first Kava I've had where it was mostly just heady but not overall 'stuffing me in a box' which can be good at times. Opihikao seems a lot closer, that might be the right one for me, but I'm wondering what others think who have tried them all or most personally. Those are the two I've tried from GHK with Fire Island these days being my reference.

I now understand that most micronized has Maka, GHK micronized doesn't have Maka. I'm confused about instant, I guess it is up to each manufacturer, do we know if Fire Island or Shaman has Maka removed?

Also, I think you need a bit more micronized to equal instant, no? It seems like 4 or 5 tablespoons of micronized equals three of instant? Or do other people see them as roughly equal?
The Opihikao is certainly a good one but I think the Hiwa and Mahakea is also a good one. Any true Instant kava will have no makas in it, the process is made with the fresh root and the makas is removed and then the liquid is dehydrated or spray dried. My process for instant is a bit different and it makes a stronger drink because I take the water out, i do not spray dry or dehydrate the water, I take the water out before I finish the process. There are some that I have heard but not come across that claim there kava was instant and it was actually micronized, like I said I have not seen this but only heard about it so as long as you get a instant that is not a micronized powder then you will have a kava that has no makas at all. Also for the potency of the instant and the micro, for me I l like the micro for the potency better than the instant.
Please let me know if you have any other questions, aloha.

Chris

mos3z

Kava Enthusiast
hey everybody, its mos3z from the old forums. This thread has me intrigued. Chris, I drank very concentrated kava daily for a year straight for a chronic back injury. It replaced my vicodin and flexeril. I had to quit almost 2 years ago because the dermopathy got beyond anything ive seen bad and it also dehydrated me so much and gave me major constipation/intestinal problems. Do you think that your kava with the macas removed could possibly get rid of those problems I was having? Do you still strain it? for other people on the board who have tried it does it dehydrate you as much as normal kava?
Chris do you have any varieties that are high dhm or dhk? looking for strong muscle relaxer and pain relief. thanks

D

Deleted User01

@mos3z, you can touch base with Kapm and ask him about Dermopathy and Noble Kava. I believe the Noble Kava from GHK is less likely to cause Dermopathy and I have never had Dermopathy though I only drink it 4 times a week.. I have taken Papa Kea for pain relief on Sundays and he also has a nice Boroguru but I will defer to the experts here.

P.S. Welcome back Mos3z!!!!!

ApéroNoble

The d'Artagnan forum 4th Kavateer
hey everybody, its mos3z from the old forums. This thread has me intrigued. Chris, I drank very concentrated kava daily for a year straight for a chronic back injury. It replaced my vicodin and flexeril. I had to quit almost 2 years ago because the dermopathy got beyond anything ive seen bad and it also dehydrated me so much and gave me major constipation/intestinal problems. Do you think that your kava with the macas removed could possibly get rid of those problems I was having? Do you still strain it? for other people on the board who have tried it does it dehydrate you as much as normal kava?
Chris do you have any varieties that are high dhm or dhk? looking for strong muscle relaxer and pain relief. thanks
Hey mos3z,

Like Jman I've never gotten dermo from GHK's Noble micro kava nor any ill side effects. After drinking it every day in rather large quantities if a half pound weekly is high. No intestinal problems whatsoever, regarding dehydration I drink a gallon of spring water daily and have for years. Like Jman said Boroguru perhaps may be a nice one for what you're looking for, but I don't think it's available in micro. However the Nene micro may very well be one worth your taking a look at. The technique Chris uses removes 100% of the makas and I've found no ill effects drinking the GHK micro without straining it.

All the best

blindy107

Kava Lover
i also consume a half to 1 lb of medium grind and/or micro a week. The one time i had gotten dermo it just got worse and worse until i switched back to noble root and it was gone in about 3 days. i didn't slow down my drinking, simply switched to known noble from possible noble.....

(y) GHK

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I'm doing an informal dermo test on myself. I'm currently on week 3 (going on week 4) of using nothing but BHK 11 year old waka. I'm having a slight case of dermo from it on my face (dry skin, a little flakiness on my forehead and nose, and dry nostrils). I'm going to keep using it until I can figure out if it stays about the same or gets worse. Then I'm planning on switching to only Mo'i instant/micro, to observe if it makes the dermo worse, better, or no change. I have to say though that I've gotten much worse dermo from doing traditional prep with other products (like Stone, Nambawan, Boroguru, etc.) So maybe 11 year old waka wasn't the best one to test with (except for the fact that I really, really like it :))

blindy107

Kava Lover
interesting stuff. I have had no dermo from any of those other products mentioned. only had it during my second LB of 11 year. i also love the waka....that stuff is so nice

blindy107

Kava Lover
@starscolliding 2tbsp of GHK micro, namely mahakea, was enough for me. Sometimes two separate drinking sessions. Before work and after 45 minute commute. At the suggestion of Chris I have started using like 1/2 tbsp at a time. Just whisk it in a bowl or cup with like a cup or so of liquid and down the hatch. Then see how I'm doing 30-45 min later. Conserve!

Nodnav

Kava Curious
Rookie Question: I know I know... you don't need to strain. However, when you do run it through a strainer or you do something to remove sediment, do you lose any kava action? I actually want to drink it through my yerba mate filtering straw sometimes. What do you think?

Kimmer

Patently irritable
Interesting--I've never seen one of those. So does the filter straw allow you to drink tea with the leaves still in it?
As far as using with Kava, I even chug my Micro. While you perhaps *could* sip it through a straw.... I don't think I would want to.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Rookie Question: I know I know... you don't need to strain. However, when you do run it through a strainer or you do something to remove sediment, do you lose any kava action? I actually want to drink it through my yerba mate filtering straw sometimes. What do you think?
My micronized is so fine that it will all go through any strainer unless it is very small, we are talking microns, so nothing is wasted, you loose no kava action. Aloha.

Chris

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
Interesting--I've never seen one of those. So does the filter straw allow you to drink tea with the leaves still in it?
As far as using with Kava, I even chug my Micro. While you perhaps *could* sip it through a straw.... I don't think I would want to.
I use these straws every day to drink yerba mate. I can use my yerba mate gourds to drink kava from if I want to.

Attachments

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
If you don't massage the hell out of the root, you're leaving kavalactones on the table. Simply soaking and straining isn't enough to do the extraction. If you drink all the root fibers, your digestive system takes care of it (but in my case makes you gurgle all night and feel like hell for 15 hours) so you're getting the kavalactones that way. Without pressure to squeeze the oils out of roots, you're getting a very weak brew.

Status
Not open for further replies.