What's new

Powdered Kava Review Melo Melo

First off, just a real quick introduction about myself since I am new here. My name is Aaron and although I am new, I have spent a few years lurking this forum as well as the old kavalounge forum. I'm a 20yr old college student and first discovered kava when I was 16, and ever since then have been drinking it pretty regularly for its wonderful relaxation properties. I mostly used to drink stuff from KBR but more recently have been trying stuff from BKH with mostly good results. But anyway, about this kava. This kava I'm reviewing is a 1/2 kilo of Melo Melo which I received in July and have just recently finished, so just keep in mind that this may not be the most recent batch.

This kava is darker in color than most, which was the first thing I noticed about it before even opening the bag. The grind is very fine although not on the level of being pseudo-micronized like Fu'u. Still a lot of thicker sediment got through the nylon stocking when making this stuff, compared to something like Koniak which is a more medium grind. I do prefer the nylon stocking though, since I personally find that the Fijian strainers result in a brew that is too weak or requires too much root to be cost effective. The smell of this kava when dry is well...different. Not really good or bad, just different. When the kava is soaked it is a different story and it starts to take on an unpleasant musty smell that reminded me of a wet dog (really the best way I can describe it). I have never had a kava that smelled anything like this one.

So the taste is really horrible. I'm a guy that has a pretty dang high tolerance for bitter things in general but this stuff is sickeningly nasty. Very bitter and leaves an aftertaste in your mouth that lingers and lingers throughout the kava session. I know kava isn't supposed to taste great or anything, but pretty much every other kava I've ever had was much easier to drink than this one. Giving this kava to a beginner could scare them away. I would often gravitate towards my bag of Koniak on most nights because the taste of this one is so bad to the point that it detracts from the overall experience.

The effects are actually great and pretty potent. Sometimes I would find myself using only 4 or 5 tablespoons since with 6 tablespoons I would sometimes find myself getting over-krunk which I do not enjoy (keep in mind this is with a nylon strainer which is coarser than a Fijian strainer). I had a few sessions with this kava that I would classify as actually producing a legitimate sense of euphoria (I don't like to use that term lightly). Unfortunately though, that feeling of euphoria would usually be distracted by an unpleasant and persistent nausea, which was partly from the aftertaste of this kava that seems to linger for quite a while like I've said. This kava seems to make me slightly more nauseous than most other kavas do.

This is not the most sedating kava. I mean it does have some sedative effects, but it is not a nightcap kava like Boroguru and Koniak are. Once in a while I will drink kava to force myself to go to sleep earlier than normal, so that I can get up extra early the next morning and still have a full night's rest. This kava does not work for that, and I would mostly just find myself tossing and turning until my usual bedtime comes around and I finally fall asleep.

Despite the good mental effects from this kava, I really see no reason why I would ever drink it over something like Borogu or Boroguru or pretty much any other kava out there that can deliver a similar effect that is just as good but without the nauseating taste. The taste of this kava is the worst I've ever experienced and makes it nearly undrinkable which is why I'm giving this kava only 2 shells.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Great review! I completely agree. Melo Melo (at least the batch I tried) is the worst-tasting kava (and perhaps the worst thing) I have had in my life.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I think the recent batches of MeloMelo might be more tainted with Tudei than previous batches. This review sounds pretty similar to what I experienced with it though, a while back. My immediate reactions were that it smelled weird when kneading (synthetic spicy cinnamon candy), my 1st shell jacked me up so much that I had to wait 1hr+ before drinking more, I got an uncofortable, jittery stimulant anxiety type of feeling for a while. Eventually it smoothed out, it was never as intense as my 1st time, the rest of the time it just felt like a good/strong fairly balanced kava. One thing that remained though, was it's putrid lingering flavor. Probably the worst tasting kava I've ever had...and that did detract from the pleasant effects.

@Henry G. maybe you can try to make it a point to find some pure melo melo, if possible, when you go to vanuatu.
although, you might have to visit a farmer or lebot to really trust what you're getting.

Last edited:

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I think the recent batches of MeloMelo might be more tainted with Tudei than previous batches. This review sounds pretty similar to what I experienced with it though, a while back. My immediate reactions were that it smelled weird when kneading (synthetic spicy cinnamon candy), my 1st shell jacked me up so much that I had to wait 1hr+ before drinking more, I got an uncofortable, jittery stimulant anxiety type of feeling for a while. Eventually it smoothed out, it was never as intense as my 1st time, the rest of the time it just felt like a good/strong fairly balanced kava. One thing that remained though, was it's putrid lingering flavor. Probably the worst tasting kava I've ever had...and that did detract from the pleasant effects.

@Henry G. maybe you can try to make it a point to find some pure melo melo, if possible, when you go to vanuatu.
although, you might have to visit a farmer or lebot to really trust what you're getting.

@shakas I hope that @Deleted User will have his testing kits ready by December and that I will be able to take one with me to test both the dried powders and the fresh kavas sold around Vila.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
That would cool. Results from the motherland would be fun to see...we've heard there's tudei spiking going on in Port Vila sometimes too. If you don't have a testing kit by then, you could always bring some Nene and some Isa with you. Then you could do tests compared to those two...and get a pretty good idea of where it stands.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Great Review @2010 !!! (y) It's confirmed now (thanks to your review), that this stuff is off my list of kava's to try. I'm really happy to see you doing reviews instead of lurking around. It really helps all of us here make better choices and I thank you for that!!! ::happyshell::

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
That would cool. Results from the motherland would be fun to see...we've heard there's tudei spiking going on in Port Vila sometimes too. If you don't have a testing kit by then, you could always bring some Nene and some Isa with you. Then you could do tests compared to those two...and get a pretty good idea of where it stands.
The thing is that I may not be allowed to bring in any plant material into Vanuatu. Remote islands are quite strict when it comes to such matters..