What's new

Question Regarding Micronized...

Shredder

Kava Enthusiast
So I checked out the recipes section of this forum and was impressed with all of the tasty looking ideas that a lot of people here on the forums have decided to share, but then I realized that most of them required micronized kava and I'm not exactly sure what that means...

I have kava root powder, so, do I need to buy a separate kind of kava for the job? So that I can make milkshakes and all of that other good shit?

If so, where do you recommend I purchase micronized kava from?

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Micronized is kava which has coarse fibers removed beforehand (by good vendors) and is then extremely finely ground; it is intended for mixing directly with water and consuming. http://gourmethawaiiankava.com is the only vendor I know of that removes the fibers. You could also use instants which are sold by many vendors in place of micronized in the recipes and it would probably work just as well.

Monkava'd

A spoonful of sugar makes the Awa' go down.
Micronized is kava which has coarse fibers removed beforehand (by good vendors) and is then extremely finely ground; it is intended for mixing directly with water and consuming. http://gourmethawaiiankava.com is the only vendor I know of that removes the fibers. You could also use instants which are sold by many vendors in place of micronized in the recipes and it would probably work just as well.
Nothing else needn't be said.;)
Kavadude's right on the :bigmoney:.
Btw I wouldn't take my baked kava recipes too seriously until I'm able to confirm something with an upcoming recipe idea I've got in mind.
Edit- One thing I'd like to add is that I'm pretty sure the kava cookies I made worked *better* than the brownies because of the time difference.
The cookies took about 7 minutes each batch whereas the brownies took 25 plus minutes.
Another fault of mine was the use of my homemade instant kava which isn't particularly strong with the brownies.
When I perfect my baked recipes with the use of micronized instead of beating around the bush I'll ask Headhodge to update those recipes to confirm without a doubt they'll work for everyone. ;)
Until then there are many other recipes that make use of micronized and I'm sure you'll be pleased with whatever you try.(y)

Last edited:
D

Deleted User01

If you get one of the lighter colored and mellow tasting Kavas, then you can still make a Kava Colada. I did it with PapaKea and it was enjoyable. But it still looked like Muddy water. Never the less, I sipped it on the patio and I did enjoy it. Lots of ice and make the grog strong. A squeeze of lime always hides some of the grog taste. The ideal is either Micronized or Instant. GHK has be best variety of instant that I have ever seen and the same goes with the Micronized. Just get a sample pack and see what you like.

Shredder

Kava Enthusiast
But what do I do when it arrives? Just drop a few tablespoons into the blender and add whatever I want to use to mix it into a smoothie or milkshake?

I'm confused...

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
You can drink it straight up if your GI can tolerate it and you like the effects. Otherwise, blend on high for like 10 minutes and strain with whatever ratio of water you like.

Shredder

Kava Enthusiast
Ok great. Well, in that case, I'll just get my hands on some micronized kava and make smoothies or milkshakes out of it. I hope it tastes a bit better that grog!

D

Deleted User01

But what do I do when it arrives? Just drop a few tablespoons into the blender and add whatever I want to use to mix it into a smoothie or milkshake?I'm confused...
Just drop one tablespoon into 4 to 6 oz of water. Stir with a spoon and then chug it. Do that for starters.

Later you can visit the Recipes at Wikepedia or the Recipes at the Kava Library and experiment with things like Bacardi Frozen Coctail Mix with Lime and Ice, or Cranberry Juice, Pomegranate Juice, etc.

Shredder

Kava Enthusiast
But there's a difference between micronized kava and the hawaiian kava powder that I'm using right now, right? I was hoping that the taste of the micronized would be more nullified and subtle...

D

Deleted User01

Shredder, it is more subtle in my opinion. The lighter colored Micros are more subtle than the darker. So you get a little grittieness and you get less taste. But the thing that you can do with Micro that doesn't work with Grog is you can mix it in some juice and eliminate the taste. Hell, Cranberry juice works good. I like Pomegranate or Grape Juice for the "darker" Kavas because it retains its color. Now that's if you intend to "sip" a large qty. If not, 4-6 oz of liquid and a tablespoon. Chug a lug and you are done.

P.S. Why don't you just get a sampler with Instant, Micro and Powder so you can compare the three? If you ask me, it's all good but sometimes you are in the mood for this or maybe that.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Instant as in it dissolves readily in water. Micronized technically does not although the particles are so small and uniform it's not hard to drink. We have a ton of fruity drink recipes if you can't handle the taste, find a thread tagged "kava recipe" and then click on the tag.

http://gourmethawaiiankava.com

Shredder

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks for the link Kavadude. They seem like a legit sight. I'll have to try some of that micronized kava when I get paid next.