What's new

Powdered Kava Review Malekula Magic

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
This is one of these freak occurences where someone does not love a highly treasured product. Malekula Magic is GKEs bestseler, i suppose so it was my first kava i got from their store. Now, i have probably had just shy of one KG of the stuff and was able to form my opinion. It is, of course, heavily influenced by my own preferences, so bear that in kind.

I'm not saying that this is a bad kava. No, it isn't. It is consistently potent, even aged batches are. It does what it does...consistently. A real heavy duty kava. Some say, it is very balanced. Well, that could be. For me, it is too much on the heavy side of things. It creates too much mental fog and bodily sedation. Good if you want to sleep soon thereafter, but bad if you are drinking it in the early afternoon. The taste is pretty unpleasant to my tongue. Pretty bitter and nasty. Personally, i can't understand why people think the taste of malekula magic is great.

I think i just now realized what i want in a kava and MM does not fit the bill. Take Pentecost Pride for instance. It has some sation going on, it chills you out but leaves your mind relatively clear. MM just wastes you. Nothing wrong with that, just different preferences i guess.

What i like about this one is, that it makes you smile and flow - a good dose of MM will "clean your system" and leave you relaxed...too bad that you will have a hard time interacting with people.

I find MM a bit boring. Perhaps I just love me a strong kavain high (Tanna Kaolik does th trick) or if i want something a bit more sedating/chill: Pentecost Pride.

What does this show? KNOW YOUR PREFERENCES! Also, everyone is different in terms of biochemistry. For me, maran-marang was insanely potent, to GKE, this is a rather mild kava!

GKE sells sampler packs of their kavas, take advantage of that and make up your mind (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted User01

Yiki, nice review. However ..... keep this in mind, the Malekula Magic and the Pentecost were both tested by Deleted User. The Malekula got a 100 percent noble rating and the Pentecost was borderline at best. I'm afraid the forum members are so used to having "blended" Kavas that they are disappointed when Noble Kavas don't put them on their ass.
"And I say that with all due respect and this is the opinion of the author and does not necessarily represent the views of the Moderators or other members of this fine forum."

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
Well, Malekula magic wasn't weaker than Pentecost pride to me, not at all! If anything, Malekula Magic feels more potent by weight. Just different...thanks for voicing your concerns though :)

D

Deleted User01

Ok, I think I hear ya now. You are saying that you prefer the effects of the other though they are both potent. And that is par for the course around here. One member's dream Kava does nothing for the other.

Ok, I reread your review, now I get it. So I wonder what the difference is in Chemotypes? Perhaps the Chemotype would give you a heads up as to whether you are going to like it or not (kavain vs DKH,DMH. I wished we could run all Kava by the numbers (chemotypes). Yiki has given us a very good description of the effects of both so bring out the Chemotypes for examination.

Last edited by a moderator:

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
@yiki Great Review. (y) I really like it when someone does a review that isn't 100% blubbering about how great a product is. It somehow makes the review more honest and legit to me.

But I'm just saying that about all reviews in general, nothing to do with this particular product. To be fair, GKE was gracious enough to give me a bag of this to try and I promised him a review in return. But I haven't had the chance yet, but will get to it soon. ::happyshell::

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks HeadHodge :)
I'm confident you will like MM. I'm not saying it is a bad kava, not at all. You can count on it to devlier the goods

@Deleted User01
What i know is .... Pentecost Pride is borogu and so is Malekula magic. The difference is that PP is a mix of stumps and lateral roots (80/20) while MM is stumps only. So, Pentecost Pride is basically a MM variant with a higher kavain percentage (at least that's how i understand it).

D

Deleted User01

@yiki. Thanks for the info, I had no idea about Malekula Magic. That is really good info because they tested differently on Harpos Test. I have a feeling that PP may be blended with something else. Still, it sounds good the way you describe it. I just checked the tests again and MM is just above the danger zone and PP is just below the danger zone. So even PP seems to be reasonable. They are different by a very small margin.

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
Yes, Deleted User01 - looking at the data, i have confidence in both kavas. I came here again to say that MM is growing on me. It is strong, euphoric and gives you a proper buzz. PP isn't that strong and the heady buzz isn't always favored. The more kava i drink, the more i realize that it is good to have some variety to select the proper strain based on mood. Also, PP with coffee is just too much but with MM it worked.

D

Deleted User01

@yiki, nice observations. That's the kind of feedback the members are looking for.

@yiki Great Review. (y) I really like it when someone does a review that isn't 100% blubbering about how great a product is. It somehow makes the review more honest and legit to me.

But I'm just saying that about all reviews in general, nothing to do with this particular product. To be fair, GKE was gracious enough to give me a bag of this to try and I promised him a review in return. But I haven't had the chance yet, but will get to it soon. ::happyshell::
You still haven't drank that? LOL

Yes, Deleted User01 - looking at the data, i have confidence in both kavas. I came here again to say that MM is growing on me. It is strong, euphoric and gives you a proper buzz. PP isn't that strong and the heady buzz isn't always favored. The more kava i drink, the more i realize that it is good to have some variety to select the proper strain based on mood. Also, PP with coffee is just too much but with MM it worked.
I also get what you mentioned in the first post Yiki, the fogged head and difficulty interacting. It's definitely a potent Kava. It's the fact that it makes me relaxed and in a good mood way into the following evening that makes it stand out for me. I personally rather Marang as it is milder and I can cope with it but I noticed that you had a really rough time with the Marng and I can't figure it out really.

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
So...
After a period of Pentecost pride and kaolik only, i've come to the conclusion that malekula magic is among the most therapeutic kavas. It tastes horrible in my opinion, and the immediate effects can be a turn of sometimes because of the aforementioned "fog" or "beer feeling" - but the days after are noticably more relaxed. This is a kava that has the potential to alter your stress level if drunken regularly over a few weeks.

Oh an about marang marang....it might be that it was just a "kavain nuke" ... you know, that feeling if you've had too much. That can be hard to handle for a relative beginner. I've gotten better at it but too much is still too much for me. Perhaps i have to revisited my old marang batch to see if i was right since my memories are fading. Some kavas also produce a ton of sediment it seems, making an overdose more likely.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I know this is an old thread but I thought I would give my opinion here on the different types mentioned...

Out of Pentecost pride, malekula magic and marang marang... I much prefer Pentecost pride. 2 or 3 tablespoons has a very nice effect on me. It seems to be the 15 minute point after each shell where it hits with the euphoria. I mix a batch with 3/4 a cup of water with each tablespoon of powder so generally 1.5 cups of water plus a splash for the kava gods (the powder retains some when you strain).

I do like malekula magic and I would say that it has similar effects and is as strong from an anti anxiety/relaxation point of view but I think PP has the edge for me, slightly nicer effects on the times I have used it.

Marang marang made me feel horrible and I am concerned about the possibility of there being some tudei in there. Maybe there is or isn't but I didn't like the effect the time I used it. I will maybe try it again to see if that was a one off but I won't be trying much.

Steph

Kava Enthusiast
I know this is an old thread but I thought I would give my opinion here on the different types mentioned...

Out of Pentecost pride, malekula magic and marang marang... I much prefer Pentecost pride. 2 or 3 tablespoons has a very nice effect on me. It seems to be the 15 minute point after each shell where it hits with the euphoria. I mix a batch with 3/4 a cup of water with each tablespoon of powder so generally 1.5 cups of water plus a splash for the kava gods (the powder retains some when you strain).

I do like malekula magic and I would say that it has similar effects and is as strong from an anti anxiety/relaxation point of view but I think PP has the edge for me, slightly nicer effects on the times I have used it.

Marang marang made me feel horrible and I am concerned about the possibility of there being some tudei in there. Maybe there is or isn't but I didn't like the effect the time I used it. I will maybe try it again to see if that was a one off but I won't be trying much.
Have yet to feel the euphoria. Think I'll try the Pentecost pride.

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
I kind of have changed my mind. Only MM gives me deep relaxation at higher doses. With Pentecost Pride, a mid level dose is also relaxing, but too much and the kavain buzz takes over. Both are good kavas that's for sure :)