What's new

Bula-ing on a budget

YourOlePalAl

Kava Curious
Hello everyone. I'm alot like you, I love kava. However, my friends and I all have something in common: we are all broke college students! So, what are your tips to get the most Bula for your buck with kava preparation? Also, which specific strains/sources offer the best value as far as potency and cost goes? Are there any tricks of the trade you know of to make the supply last longer? Thanks!::pumpkinsz::

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
This is how I bula on a budget (and in general) to get the most bang for your buck.
1) Buy a strong but affordable kava, like BKH Boroguru, MeloMelo or KBR Fiji.
(obviously a stronger kava that also doesn't cost too much is what you're looking for in this situation)
2) Knead/Squeeze 6-9 Tbsp in ~2 cups hot water for at least 10 min. A tablespoon or so of oil might help slightly.
(of course, if you can get by on fewer, you're helping your cause)
3) Then do it again in a lesser amount of water. And combine.
(don't use Fijian strainers in this whole scenario because they strain so well, it slightly reduces potency)
4) Chug up to half of your prepared kava if your stomach can handle it. Wait a little while and drink more.
(the more you get in you faster, the stronger and quicker the full effects will hit you. but be careful)
5) If you drank all your kava, you can knead your root ball one more time in a few ounces of water and drink it.
6) Eat a small meal, don't push it, if you feel full and bloated. You should be fully rooted by now.

When all is said and done, all the little 'tricks' like kneading longer, making 2nd and 3rd washes, using hot water and using oil or lecithin...all these things actually do very little and you'll be lucky if they equate to giving you an extra tablespoon or two worth of potency. (or 'saved' kava)

Note: stronger kavas are usually more nauseating or bloating. using a non fijian strainer to increase potency, allows more/larger particles through which adds to bloating and nausea. drinking faster & quicker to increase perceived potency increases likelihood of bloating and nausea. consuming more and more liquid can heighten the sensation of bloating and nausea.

Another thing to consider, although it's not quite definitive, is that it's looking like nearly every kava available for purchase is adulterated with Tudei kava, to varying degrees. Unless you buy the verified Noble kavas from Gourmet Hawaiian Kava. The only problem for you in this case, is that they are also among the most expensive.
But if you weigh cost against potency, nobility and safety...your best possible purchase would likely be this one:
Gourmet Hawaiian Kava's - Boroguru Medium Grind

Last edited:

Roaddog

Kava Who?
@shakas , I just placed an order for the Boroguru. I ordered 1 pound. I have heard so many folks on here talk about it, but I have yet to try it. That will soon change. Much love. Roaddog....

blindy107

Kava Lover
I find the micros to be good on a budget. It usually only takes me 2 heaping tbsp to get the krunk on. I don't strain my micro though. I know others do.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Yep, the absolute cheapest way to consume kava is buying a strong micronized product. Back when I neglected my skin condition, 3 heaping tablespoons was definitely enough.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
(y) I bought one today too. :hungry: Now, the wait for it's journey over the pacific. :bookworm:
Yes, that's part of it, the wait. But I find Chris gets it going pretty fast. cant wait to try it. Thanks for sujesting it again. It reminded me, that I wanted some. ;). Much love. Roaddog....

Shantu

Kava Curious
Thanks for that Boroguru recommendation Shakas. I thought all hope was lost since BKH does not sell it to my country. GHK seems to be my only chance to try this well-praised kava now, and it's at a decent price as well, even outside the US. Maybe in the near future. :)

Last edited:

Grant Moore

Don't be in a hurry to go no where.
I hear you man. I'm also in college and can be strapped for kava cash. What seems to work for me is extended soak times and insanely stout strains. WOW! kava from nakamal at home can really go far. It's a bit expensive, but i can usually get away with using two less tbs.

KavaCat

Meow.
Something I've noticed that goes hand in hand with what @Deleted User said: Remember that the root is dried. I have discovered it benefits greatly from re-hydration, or letting it soak for a good while. I noticed this while using a fairly coarsely ground melo melo, which I decided to knead twice. There was one night where I didn't squeeze it out obsessively dry, and the second knead was more potent than the other second-kneads I had done. So I started leaving it a bit damp, and that's helped. I have not tried it myself, but maybe you could put your "discard" fibers into a bowl with a little water and let it sit overnight. Blend it and strain it again. You'd be getting the kava out of the larger pieces, which weren't able to fully rehydrate during the short period when you did your first knead. Might actually try this myself. :eek:

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Something I've noticed that goes hand in hand with what @Deleted User said: Remember that the root is dried. I have discovered it benefits greatly from re-hydration, or letting it soak for a good while. I noticed this while using a fairly coarsely ground melo melo, which I decided to knead twice. There was one night where I didn't squeeze it out obsessively dry, and the second knead was more potent than the other second-kneads I had done. So I started leaving it a bit damp, and that's helped. I have not tried it myself, but maybe you could put your "discard" fibers into a bowl with a little water and let it sit overnight. Blend it and strain it again. You'd be getting the kava out of the larger pieces, which weren't able to fully rehydrate during the short period when you did your first knead. Might actually try this myself. :eek:
Makes sense. I have also noticed an increase in potency, over letting a unfiltered grog, set. I usually only let mine set for 1 hour. I just decided, to make tonights kava 4 hours early and let the unfiltered grog set for 4 hours, to see if I notice a difference.

Ok I have also heard freezing your dried kava root, helps make it more potent, because of the ice crystals puncturing the root allowing it to release more of its Kavaloids. Well what if we were to combine both of these ideas. Like say make up a strong unfiltered grog, put it in a plastic cup, and freeze it solid. Then remove, and thaw, and finely strain the grog. Do you think this would result in a stronger kava? You would both allow the root to hydrate, then freeze it, to adjutate the fiber even more. I'm just curious? Much love. Roaddog....

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
How to get the most bang for your bucks spent on bula?

Well...I can get a 1 lb bag to last 3.5-4 months? Is that enough bang for ya? I don't have a secret to doing it. Just keep drinking kava. In about 2 years maybe you'll be to the point were you can have it once or twice a week and feel great about it.

KavaCat

Meow.
Makes sense. I have also noticed an increase in potency, over letting a unfiltered grog, set. I usually only let mine set for 1 hour. I just decided, to make tonights kava 4 hours early and let the unfiltered grog set for 4 hours, to see if I notice a difference.

Ok I have also heard freezing your dried kava root, helps make it more potent, because of the ice crystals puncturing the root allowing it to release more of its Kavaloids. Well what if we were to combine both of these ideas. Like say make up a strong unfiltered grog, put it in a plastic cup, and freeze it solid. Then remove, and thaw, and finely strain the grog. Do you think this would result in a stronger kava? You would both allow the root to hydrate, then freeze it, to adjutate the fiber even more. I'm just curious? Much love. Roaddog....
Maybe in a real pinch, although for my personal self, that might be a bit much effort, for only a little reward. Mostly in terms of how much planning it would take to soak for a day, freeze, then thaw again, then do the knead.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Maybe in a real pinch, although for my personal self, that might be a bit much effort, for only a little reward. Mostly in terms of how much planning it would take to soak for a day, freeze, then thaw again, then do the knead.
Well I can tell you this, I let my kava set in the blender for 4 hours, today, and I feel like it is more potent. I do, I think there is at least something to your soak kava idea, for longer. I used the same amount 6 tablespoons, and am getting stronger effects tonight, than I did last night. Also I found that I had less fiber to through away, and a slightly thicker grog. Much love. Roaddog...

Kava_newbie

Mi Kava, su Kava
On average how long does a "krunk" last? I know it depends on how many spoons one uses. But just as a rough estimate.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
On average how long does a "krunk" last? I know it depends on how many spoons one uses. But just as a rough estimate.
it also depends on the type of kava & how quick you drink it.
to me, a kava buzz is a process that lasts the evening. I view 'krunkness' as the peak effects period, which may only last 20-60 minutes (if it even happens at all)....surrounded by kava'd-out chillness on both sides.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Peak effects? Tip top peak I'd have to agree with @shakas . 20-60 minutes maybe a tad more. You may be able to feel it pretty good up to 6 hours but not tip top peak of the krunk kind of feeling.