What's new

Has anyone read reports on ANY of the risks listed on this site?

ElKavallero

Kava Curious
Mindfully, I know it's the internet, but this is a top 5 medical information site...and at the very least we can give would be seekers a source of alternate information rather than let it stand on it's own. They are listing 'risks' to Kava use that I've never head before. Has anyone encountered studies that link Kava to any of the below? Are they even talking about the right substance?

Other serious side effects that have been observed with chronic or heavy use of kava include: skin disorders, blood abnormalities, apathy, kidney damage, seizures, psychotic syndromes, and increased blood pressure in the lungs (pulmonary hypertension). Blood in the urine has also been reported...

...Several cases of abnormal muscle movements have been reported after short-term use of kava (one to four days), including tightening, twisting, or locking of the muscles of the mouth, neck (torticollis), and eyes (oculogyric crisis). Worsening of symptoms of Parkinson's disease and several cases of abnormal whole body movements (choreoathetosis) following high doses of kava have also been noted. Tremor, poor coordination, headache, drowsiness, and fatigue have uncommonly been reported, particularly with large doses. A case of muscle cell breakdown (rhabdomyolysis) was reported in a 29 year-old man after taking an herbal combination of ginkgo, guarana, and kava....

...It has also been associated with meningismus (pain caused by irritation in the layers around the brain and spinal cord), urinary retention, skin lesions, enhanced or decreased cognitive performance, anorexia, sleeplessness, abnormal sensations called paresthesias, vomiting, and dangerously high blood pressure.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I believe the worsening of Parkinson's is true too...also this: "abnormal whole body movements (choreoathetosis) following high doses of kava have also been noted" ...I watched it happen to a female friend of mine and read another 1st hand account of it online afterwards. It seems to be rare, but can happen.
There might be some truth to the kidney stuff too...I definitely notice a different scent to my urine after kava. Not a bad smell, but it's distinctly due to kava. That's likely benign though and simply just a part of kava, just as there's a certain urine odor associated with Asparagus consumption. But, I've also been having another symptom of possible kidney issues every once in a while after some heavy kava nights. I hesitate to bring it up until after I go see a Dr. in a few weeks.

I think kava actually reduces the likelihood of having seizures. However, If you drank kava to the point of 'anorexia' you could possibly have a seizure due to malnutrition. But that would be your fault...not the kava's. I've never checked my blood pressure with kava...but I thought it actually lowers it. While there can be rare nights of sleeplessness, kava usually gives you heavier sleep.

So, there may be some truth to a lot of these things, but they are incredibly rare and would probably be do to a specific person's own predisposition to them.
Like Kavadude said, the little things like dry skin & nausea... are the only commonly considered side-effects of kava...and even those depend on your dosage/usage/...

Last edited:

JonT

Kava Enthusiast
Could you provide a link to the site? I see here noted urinary retention, I notice just the opposite; kava acts as a diuretic with me. I think shakas comments were quite sensical in taking a well rounded view and as kavadude said staying well hydrated is key with kava, I drink a gallon of spring water a day at least.
It does with everyone! Where do they get this stuff from? They may be dragging it out of reported impacts of people taking herbal combinations of kava extract + a load of other stuff (like the German guy).

brett123

Kava Curious
I second shakas I have also noticed whole body tremors involuntary after high doses possibly with caffeine energy drinks though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KavaLot

Kava Enthusiast
Are you talking about piss shivers? I get them all the time drinking kava. There kind of like little mini orgasms so not a bad thing at all :). I'm hypertensive as well, although normal BP with medication. It's a genetic thing with me as I'm in relatively good shape (6' - 185 lb). I have noticed the headier strains have a negative impact on my BP. I've only had one type that brought my BP to unacceptable levels. The majority of other strains, noble varieties have actually lowered my BP. As you can see I monitor my BP quite regularly especially when indulging. I wonder if this is one of the major problems with Tudei varieties? High BP, especially unchecked, is brutal on your kidneys and liver.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
nah, the more worrisome effect looks kinda like mild parkinson's or something. it's like a continuous slow heaving motion of the body or the head, going back and forth beyond your control.
I've personally only had body sensations like you and brett mentioned...and I think they'd be considered more 'normal'...although, not necessarily typical of kava.
1) sometimes the occasional limb twitch / spasm. 2) a paradoxical anxiety-like body quiver 3) the semi-orgasmic 'piss shiver', if I stand shirtless in front of a fan.
all are associated with the kava hittin' me extra hard.

brett123

Kava Curious
I have seen somebody have full body spasms after far to much to quick almost lost full body control loss of speech stuttering shakes and twitches looked a bit like a badly malfunctioning robot walking shaking twitching up corridor to use toilet to be sick then devolved red skin rash neck and stuff after but normal drinking could commence and rash disappeared after short time 3-10 days I don't remember well .. I not trying to piss on anybody's bonfire but od's are possible with anything from water to alcohol and caffeine drinks anything can cause od's why would kava be different ? There's the point most peps get from alcohol or kava = toilet puking but also I think there is another level just like alcohol were you have far to much in your system to quick and just being sick won't cut it your gonna notice more sever side effects ... Sorry if it's a bit jumbled using phone 2 type

dreggerz

Kava Curious
Thought I should add my 2 cents on this I'm all about health promotion, teaching and helping people understand their bodies. Asterixis also known as liver flap are muscle tremors of the extremities interfering with ones ability to maintain a fixed position. This is usually seen as a jerking type motion and is an early sign of portal systemic encephalopathy which is a fancy name for a brain dysfunction caused by the liver in this case (this is not the only cause of this) it usually affects the upper extremities but is not limited to them and can also occur with the tongue (this would look like " the shakes " someone who has ingested too much alcohol over a long period of time). One of the primary elements that causes this is an elevated ammonia level in the blood. High ammonia levels typically indicate that the liver is not functioning properly. IMHO kava from what I've read is metabolized in the liver and considering that I personally can feel the effects of some kava ( not tudei) for more than a day leads me to think that the liver may not be able to metabolize the kavalactones as efficiently as other toxins. This can also occur in acute response from an overload to the liver. With this is also associated confusion, agitation, restlessness and in the chronic process of this you will see jaundice as well (yellowing of the skin and seen first in the whites of the eyes). Of course this is not the only cause of these signs or symptoms and they may be seen together or independently and this is not the shudder experienced from the taste when consuming kava. With out any studies this is purely speculative in relation to kava. I thoroughly enjoy kava regularly and promote its benefits. All those side effects Dmauro talked about can occur from liver damage but can be caused by anything the liver is unable to metabolize. Naturally there is going to be a small percentage of people who are affected differently and more pronounced than others but with anything moderation is the key. People everyday are intentionally exposed to radiation and their exposure to it is monitored and with the use of moderation they continue leading long healthy lives. Just don't consume 2 lbs of kava a night it's like anything else on the planet too much is bad for you. If i was concerned i would get a liver function test with an ammonia level and have peace of mind. Ohh yea and twitching is usually an electrolyte imbalance due to dehydration so drink plenty of water.
Disclaimer :shameshame:this is not medical advice if you have questions concerning your health speak with a health care provider you trust and bring them some kava :woot: