What's new

New(ish) to Kava - Dermopathy

O

oldwvlf

Hello,
I made an account so I could get some feedback from experienced kava drinkers. Recently I began using kava regularly. Going to a kava bar a couple times a week and preparing traditional method at home with either Kalm with Kava or Wakacon, using a strainer that came with a Kalm starter pack. I also bought a 30% kavalactone powder by Samsara herbs? And would add that to some of my homebrew. I thought I'd found something amazing I could use daily, was excited, and perhaps went a little excessive the last month. So, basically daily use, for 30 days, some days more than others, only at night. I'm quite healthy and in extremely good physical shape. I workout 4x a week (strength training/body building).

I noticed my hands, the webbing around my thumbs, were strangely dry, and some days just moving my hands would feel like I was stretching out a a glove (my skin), not sure how else to explain it. Two nights ago I had difficulty sleeping due to feeling itchy all over. Yesterday I noticed on my right hip red stretch mark like rash, and dry skin on both sides, kind of starting at the same spot on my hips. Some dry skin near my armpits. I read all the posts in the forum. I didn't drink kava yesterday. I bought amlactin, and wow it burned on the side that was stretch-mark/red looking.

It seems that the general consensus is stop kava intake, use amlactin, benadryl for itchiness, and the dermo will eventually disappear, though will likely get worse beforehand. In each thread there are a few people saying they didn't stop kava intake, and the dermo just left on its own. So I have a few questions" For those who didn't stop kava intake, what has happened? For those that stopped and started again, is this an ongoing problem? I've also read certain strains effect certain people more than others when it comes to dermo, and that the lactones building up in the skin may be the issue, so are the extract powders or "boosts" more likely to cause dermo?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I bought amlactin, and wow it burned on the side that was stretch-mark/red looking.
Done this one myself. That's a new kind of hurt right there.

So I have a few questions" For those who didn't stop kava intake, what has happened?
I'm one of the ones that went from dermo to no dermo without stopping. In all honesty, it stopped when I switched to noble kavas. Specifically it stopped when I began drinking GHK's boroguru exclusively. I still have slightly dry skin, but nothing close to what dermapothy has brought me. No red marks or splits anymore. I do use lotion daily after my shower, and that could possibly hide maybe a slight bit that I don't notice.

I've also read certain strains effect certain people more than others when it comes to dermo, and that the lactones building up in the skin may be the issue, so are the extract powders or "boosts" more likely to cause dermo?
Yes. Extract powders will 100% cause dermapothy faster than traditional.

O

oldwvlf

@Kapmcrunk thanks for the reply. So basically, I'm gonna throw away the kava extract. I'll check out that kava you recommended. I'm gonna go to that kava bar tonight and see if they can tell me exactly what type of kava they use. I don't really care about having dry hands, but this side rash and super dry/peeling skin is gross. Sucks :/

schatz

itchin for kava
I also started last January similiar to how your journey is going. I was drinking amazon purchased kava and mixing it with the extracts of kava and after a month got very itchy back. Not quite to the dermo stage but still itchy back and dry skin for the first time in my life was a little concerning. So I totally stopped drinking kava for 2 weeks and it got a little worse at first and then went away after a couple weeks.
When I resumed my kava drinking I never use the extracts anymore and use Wakakon strainer or Alubal and use only kavas recommended here. Never had ichty back symptoms return since. I think it was the extract that caused it also. I now have to lotion up after every shower with my homemade lotion wich I have never had to do in my entire life. always had oily skin but now I am a little dry skinned thanks to kava, but its a small price to pay for all the wonderful feeling it gives in return. Good luck and stay away from the extracts, just stick with noble and traditional and youll be fine.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Coconut oil helps alot.. externally and internally.
Also making sure your straining your kava really well.. Ecspecially if your strainer bag is stretched... for a long time I started doing like 3 strains .. over and over and sometimes using 2 strainer bags at once so it's just pure water kava extracted .. no particulates.. this makes it way weaker but is nice if your not trying to get krunk but don't want dry skin just relax a bit.

Oh ya I'm someone who doesn't stop and yet dermo comes and goes.. ( weather makes a HUGE difference) I haven't had dermo in like a few months and was wondering why i had such nice skin... skip recently... and the cold weather is kicking my ass!!!! everything is cracking lol.

Jonathan

All Hail Leon
I agree - use noble kavas and drink a lot of water! I found it also helps to keep a humidifier running in my room at night. I get super dry hands in the winter anyway, and even noble kava makes it worse, but my hands are considerably better after getting a humidifier and working to stay hydrated more.