What's new

Powdered Kava Review Pouni Ono

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I was debating whether to give this kava 4 stars or 5 stars. I gave it 5 stars simply for its unique value of being a "true" daytime strain. This one packs energy similar to a cup of guayusa or yerba mate. Not quite the kick of coffee but you can feel that energy under the surface quite well. I have got this with a few kavas but it is usually accompanied by some heaviness, but not this one. I could without a doubt drink this before lunch. I cant say that for any other kava. I'm actually debating trying that right now... :joyful: I gave it 5/5 on the headiness scale but this is not a dreamy or stoney kava, it's a focused kava with some MILD euphoric undertones, I admit it has less recreational potential than other kavas in my arsenal but as a student that can be a good thing. This one is not to be drank before bed for me, it gives me too much mental stimulation. It has focus and allows me to "zone in" to whatever I am doing. I played video games after drinking it last night and I was so into it I was on the edge of my seat! It does have some mild anxiety reduction but this is not it's selling point for me. In fact, I would say the only real drawback is that it only seems to reduce my anxiety by about 10% give or take. It does do a little bit better at specifically removing my self consciousness though, as all good kava does. Some folks might see its lack of anxiolytic firepower as a deal breaker, and since it is kava, that would not be unfounded. However this specimen is an excellent example of what kava can be, and it has a clear place among the kava ranks. It isn't some weird mash up of jitteriness and couch melt (and yes I have had kavas that felt like that) It's clean and knows it's purpose. The other great thing about this kava is that it is brimming with potential as a mixer. I have blended it with moi to enhance the uplift of the moi while maintaining some warm anxiolytic effects: a social cocktail for sure.

Oh yeah... I don't mind the taste of kava at all, but FWIW, flavor and smell are very great too. Like the slightest hint of marshmallow. Very mild flavor with the relatively conservative amount I us in a shell. (I use about 2-3 TBS in a shell these days and usually drink one or two)

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
@ThePiper Great review, thanks. This one has been on my list for a while but not got space for it yet. I've heard some people find this sedating so interesting to see another take.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Yes I noticed that too. Perhaps we shuold have a pole to see who finds it stimulating and who finds it sedating. From the thread it look like there are a couple of people who get flat knocked out by it... I cant imagine that.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Agreed, stimulating for me too. Great daytime kava. I often mix it with something like borogu or borongoru because it can actually be *too* stimulating.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I bought another bag of this recently and it is a good bit different now in my experience compared to the old bag i have. Still very potent and euphoric but this one has more body warmth, and giddiness with less of a mentally balanced feel to it. It does have a sort of crash to me but that might in part be because ive been exploring higher dosages lately

ThePiper

Kava Lover
The November 2017 batch is a bit different than previous batches. The moodlift and energy is much less prominent but there is a strong mellow wave that comes in. Heady but also definitely some body tones (not heavy per se) taste is unique, a bit odd but smooth. Quite potent. It's not as social for me this time around either.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
The stuff I got November 2017 has a fantastic taste. Quite balanced for a Tongan, but definitely strong in the heady dept. Good for daytime or night time drinking and great for special occasions I would say.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Wow. Really looking forward to trying this batch out. Tracking says Monday or maybe Saturday, hopefully.

Smooth taste, balanced, leaning towards heady. In my mind, I'm imagining something like two parts 24 Wave, one part Mahakea and one part Mo'i?

Is it... cashewy? ;)

evrnd

Kava Enthusiast
I have not tried the medium grind yet, but the micro doesn't have the oomph of the older batch I tried. It's still good and euphoric, but just not quite as potent it seems. Since I never got to try the medium grind before I am curious to see how it compares in effects. I agree with the crashing assessment as well, but that makes sense with anything that comes on with such pronounced euphoria. I will make sure to have something more balanced or heavy on hand to smooth out the rough edges of the Pouni Ono's exit.
I certainly don't regret my purchase. I just wish less went a little farther.

Side note - no one else finds the taste a little odd? Hahaha. I know this can go for a lot of kava, but between this and the last batch of Borogu micro I bought... I don't know.... it's like KWK micro has developed it's own unique flavor. A little woody perhaps?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I have not tried the medium grind yet, but the micro doesn't have the oomph of the older batch I tried. It's still good and euphoric, but just not quite as potent it seems. Since I never got to try the medium grind before I am curious to see how it compares in effects. I agree with the crashing assessment as well, but that makes sense with anything that comes on with such pronounced euphoria. I will make sure to have something more balanced or heavy on hand to smooth out the rough edges of the Pouni Ono's exit.
I certainly don't regret my purchase. I just wish less went a little farther.

Side note - no one else finds the taste a little odd? Hahaha. I know this can go for a lot of kava, but between this and the last batch of Borogu micro I bought... I don't know.... it's like KWK micro has developed it's own unique flavor. A little woody perhaps?
KWK Borogu is profoundly piney. The Pouni Ono has a faint piney aftertone. You don't notice it going down, just in the aftertaste, IMO and it's pretty faint. Another one with that piney flavour is the Herbal Island Fiji Waka. In the case of the strong pineys I usually blend with lawena to tone it down a bit.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Pouni Ono came today. It's good! Will have to drink it some more to really hear it fully, but for now it feels heady/balanced. Very fine grind. Gentle taste.

AZcat

Kava Drinker
I just drank 4 Heaped Teaspoons KWK Micronized Pouni Ono. Out of all the Kava's, it has the best taste, not hard to drink at all. Very heady, like drinking Beer, but without the bad side effects.