What's new

Why does kava start to smell weird if you let it sit in water overnight?

daltonsolo

Night Watchman
I put my kava in the fridge if I have some leftover, and it always stinks up the fridge with this weird sour smell. Anybody know if it's affecting the kava in any way other than smell? Just curious if it's going bad or something

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I never store kava in the fridge, unless it is bottled and closed, it shouldn't smell at all. Generally I always make what I can drink there and then, never really store any.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Even bottled/closed overnight it gets a funk. Whatever's happening chemically continues to happen. I've never had a non-funky overnight brew.

F3TU5

Kava Enthusiast
I just drank a little bit of a brew that was like 3 days old lol lucky my nose is stuffed and I can't taste for shit right now

Sacred Journey

Kava Curious
kava does not keep well for some reasohn. i am not sure why. i often waste it because i dont know exactly how much im going to want and then end up throwing the excess away the next time because i dont want to drink it.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I've drank old kava like that. I didn't get sick but it does acquire a (somehow) fouler taste so I personally don't let it sit overnight anymore

KavaCat

Meow.
I've never had that problem. I store kava in the fridge, and it takes several days before it gets a "funk". You may want to try bottled water, or boiling your tap water... or make sure your kava powders haven't been exposed to a lot of moisture/ contamination. Also remember to wash your hands if you're kneading. My kava can easily sit three days and taste just fine, though it does certainly get thicker. Also make sure it's covered. 99% of funky smells in anything in your fridge will be caused by bacteria that is in the air, the food, or the fridge. Put a stop to the contamination, and it'll last longer. You have to figure out where the contamination is coming from, is all, which might take some experimentation. Although an easier fix might be adding a good amount of lemon. The acidity will retard the growth of most bacteria.

Last edited:

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I have never stored kava prepared from dry root, but fresh (green) kava definitely goes off about 4-5 hours after prep. It still does it's job, but takes on an acidic strong smelling sharp taste that will have even the iron stomach guys struggling to hold it down.

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
I let my makas sit in water for a day or two in a cold-ish place, squeeze, then store in a SS water bottle.
Yup, it definitely smells and tastes a little funny, but it still works and doesn't cause any ill effects.
I've done this many, many times.

If it smells/tastes "sour", I'd suspect something other than the kava, and I probably wouldn't drink it.
"sour" tends to equate to bacterial infection, so I'd be careful.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Sometimes my wife will make kava, fall asleep on the couch and end up giving it to me the next day. As long as it's stored in the fridge, it should be ok. I've found its actually a little easier to drink the next day. It's like it mutes the flavor a little bit before it goes to the opposite end of the spectrum.

kava does not keep well for some reasohn. i am not sure why. i often waste it because i dont know exactly how much im going to want and then end up throwing the excess away the next time because i dont want to drink it.
Your freezer is your friend in this situation. Ice tray frozen with kava instead of water? You have instant kava ice cubes to kick up any shell to the next notch :)

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Sometimes my wife will make kava, fall asleep on the couch and end up giving it to me the next day. As long as it's stored in the fridge, it should be ok. I've found its actually a little easier to drink the next day. It's like it mutes the flavor a little bit before it goes to the opposite end of the spectrum.
Like the Thanksgiving effect, lol. All the food tastes better the next day. Kava wouldn't last in my fridge overnight, I'd wake up at 3-4am and chug it :D

verticity

I'm interested in things
Kava powder contains some starch, in addition to the kavalactones. When you mix it with water it provides a breeding ground for microbes that eat the starch (and ... um... poop it out). If you mix corn starch with water and let it sit, it will get pretty funky. Same phenomenon. You can slow the process by cooling and sealing in an air tight container, like others said. But note, the bacteria don't eat kavalactones, so the potency is not affected even though the taste gets really funky. But it's probably a good idea to minimize the amount of bacteria poop you ingest.

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
Kava powder contains some starch, in addition to the kavalactones. When you mix it with water it provides a breeding ground for microbes that eat the starch (and ... um... poop it out). If you mix corn starch with water and let it sit, it will get pretty funky. Same phenomenon. You can slow the process by cooling and sealing in an air tight container, like others said. But note, the bacteria don't eat kavalactones, so the potency is not affected even though the taste gets really funky. But it's probably a good idea to minimize the amount of bacteria poop you ingest.
What might be the consequence of ingesting the aforementioned "sour" brew? I left my Nene instant in the fridge for awhile and it's definitely sour... I also already drank some and am wondering if I should drink the rest.

Oh and... How in the crap does something turn sour in the fridge? :cautious:

Too late, I drank it anyway, I'll tell you guys if I die.

Last edited:

Mira

Kava Curious
This makes me wonder if kava wine is a thing. I ain't doing it, but someone must. Off to google I go!

verticity

I'm interested in things
What might be the consequence of ingesting the aforementioned "sour" brew? I left my Nene instant in the fridge for awhile and it's definitely sour... I also already drank some and am wondering if I should drink the rest.

Oh and... How in the crap does something turn sour in the fridge? :cautious:

Too late, I drank it anyway, I'll tell you guys if I die.
I have drank "old" kava. The only consequence was that it tasted even worse than normal...