What's new

What should I do with all these twigs?

NAMBATU

Kava Enthusiast
I just received 16 ounces (454g) of kava roots. I've tried chewing on one and it was unpleasant except for the effects of the kava. The texture is bad, the flavour is bad and you look like such a thug walking around chewing a tree.
I don't have a blender with the strength of a wood chipper, so I don't think I can easily make drinks from these things.

exit stage left
I tried grinding my own roots once and I used a cheap electric coffee grinder/spice mill. I used a pair of sharp kitchen scissors to cut the roots into really small pieces and then ground them a little at a time. It was very time-consuming, and I couldn't do a whole lot at once because after a short while my grinder would get extremely hot, but I managed to grind enough to drink each time, and my grinder didn't die. I got through maybe 3/4 of a pound that way. What was interesting was that I ended up with a bunch of fine powdery stuff that kind of naturally separated from the more fibrous stuff, and I could drink the powdery stuff as toss and wash without ill effects.

Sam Handwich

Kava Enthusiast
I really enjoy chewing the root. I use kitchen shears to cut the approx. pencil diameter sized pieces into 1 to 2 inch long pieces for chewing and the rest I process like 24601.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I just received 16 ounces (454g) of kava roots. I've tried chewing on one and it was unpleasant except for the effects of the kava. The texture is bad, the flavour is bad and you look like such a thug walking around chewing a tree.
I don't have a blender with the strength of a wood chipper, so I don't think I can easily make drinks from these things.
Send them to me, I'll chew on them for you :D

Reactions: EQ