What's new

Micronized Kava Review 11 Year Waka

MCT

Hello everyone! I just had my first Kava experience last night and thought I should share my experience, prep, etc so that I could pay it forward for the next newbie who stumbles upon this forum like I did. So first, thank you to everyone who posts reviews and tips!

I ordered the Alu Ball and the 11 year Waka from Kavafied and Bula Kava House. Shipping was quick, received both packages in under 3 days.

I probably researched prep and dose for about an hour before ordering, and then I called BKH when I got the package even though it is clearly printed on the label. Just wanted to make sure! :) I did 2 tablespoons in the ball, shook for 45 seconds and then guzzled it. First I want to say that I travel a ton internationally for business, always trying local foods and drinks, and also have tried just about every pre-workout supplement out there. My point is, I am used to things that don't taste great and able to handle pretty well and still just take it down. The first sip when it hit my throat I definitely gagged and had to take a second! WOW that stuff is potent and bitter and about 15 other things! I forced it down as quickly as possible, started rinsing the ball out and instantly felt the tingle in my mouth and throat.

Really surprised with the amount left in the ball, can you re-use that?! I rinsed it out, relaxed for about 2 hours, and then had one more tablespoon before bed. The effects were very pleasant, relaxed, slight numbness and tingle throughout my body, my mind slowed down, watched tv for about an hour and was very sleepy so fell asleep and slept right through the night until about 445am which is HUGE for me, I am usually waking up by 130/2am.

I need to do some research and see if I do one tablespoon at a time, and/or if the residue can be re-used for another one. I also am definitely going to try mixing with flax milk or coconut milk, I was shocked how hard the taste was for me! Overall I definitely liked my experience, hated the taste, prep/process was beyond smooth, and I am looking forward to figuring out the right dose and trying some other ones.

Unbiased, quick run down of someone who is very new to this, and did maybe 2-3 hours of total research. Hope this helps someone!

UPDATE!!: I used about a half cup of Flax Milk and then water last night and it made a HUGE difference. Almost to the point where I would enjoy sipping on it, almost... :)

Last edited:

PsyGuru

Kava Enthusiast
I believe the 11 year waka is micronized meaning you mix it straight into water and chug. no need to filter it out. the alu ball is for medium grind (most variety of kava will be medium grind). you probably need to redo the review. you would use half the dose as medium grind...with micro i would do 1 tablespoon and wait 20 minutes and repeat every 20 minutes until the third (or fourth) tablespoon.

Reactions: MCT

MCT

Hi PsyGuru, I did see that on another post, but I don't think I should re-do the review. Isn't the point of reviews to show the trials and tribulations of newbies and veterans alike? It is all a learning process! Thank you for the info, I will do the mixing direct tonight!

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Thanks for the review! Your mistake with prep is partially our fault. We usually don't put the prep label on micronized packages. You probably did just fine though as I'm sure a lot of the very fine micro powder made it through the Aluball mesh. But yeah, in the future just throw a tablespoon in 4-8 oz. of water, stir and chug. After you get a feel for it you may adjust ratios a bit.

PsyGuru

Kava Enthusiast
Hi PsyGuru, I did see that on another post, but I don't think I should re-do the review. Isn't the point of reviews to show the trials and tribulations of newbies and veterans alike? It is all a learning process! Thank you for the info, I will do the mixing direct tonight!
you are right. i don't think you need to redo anything but the kava. bula.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
If anything itgave you a cleaner first experience ... 11 year is strong and usually puts me on my ass if i dont strain out theresidue lol ... Kava def helps you poop good review :) welcome much love :)