What's new

Aluball cleaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Handwich

Kava Enthusiast
My Aluball has been in daily use for about 7 months. Still going strong except there is some clogging of the screens that I can't seem to fully clean. Shaking it with just water doesn't help, nor does scrubbing with a toothbrush. Do any of you know a neat trick to get this scrubbed up and back to new (ish)?
20160724_190012.jpg

Crunked

Proselytizer
You could try putting it into lukewarm water with dishwashing detergent and let it soak. If you soak it long enough you should be able to get rid of the buildup. The danger might be that a long soak could weaken the glue or bond that holds the mesh in place.

Would I be right in thinking it was not your practice to immediately rinse out the balls and shaker once your session had finished?

nosuni

Kava Enthusiast
I just use the sprayer on my sink, mine has never been that clogged though. You might need a pressure washer :whistle:

Sam Handwich

Kava Enthusiast
You could try putting it into lukewarm water with dishwashing detergent and let it soak. If you soak it long enough you should be able to get rid of the buildup. The danger might be that a long soak could weaken the glue or bond that holds the mesh in place.

Would I be right in thinking it was not your practice to immediately rinse out the balls and shaker once your session had finished?
I'll give soaking in detergent a try, I hadn't done this because I was worried that it might hold a soapy residue if the stuck bits of kava absorb the soap but don't rinse off. I generally do rinse after emptying the bottle, but there have been a few times that it sat overnight in the fridge when only half drank.

Sam Handwich

Kava Enthusiast
So vinegar seems to be helpful, it didn't just magically dissolve the kava residue but it did loosen it up enough to allow a light scrubbing with a toothbrush to do the job. Great sugestion!

Status
Not open for further replies.