What's new

The Secret to My Micronized Kava

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
So no makas sounds like a good thing. Does a casual drinker like me that intends on sticking with low to medium serving sizes and a few shells have to heavily worry about dermo? Dermo and "hangovers" are my number one concerns. (I am nursing a kava extract paste hangover right now... tu deis straight!)

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
So no makas sounds like a good thing. Does a casual drinker like me that intends on sticking with low to medium serving sizes and a few shells have to heavily worry about dermo? Dermo and "hangovers" are my number one concerns. (I am nursing a kava extract paste hangover right now... tu deis straight!)
I drink 45 grams worth of medium grind traditional prep kava per night, and as long as I've kept it to certified noble I haven't had much dermapothy to speak of. My legs get pretty dry, but other than that it's good. I also use a pretty thick lotion every morning after the shower out of habit when I did have dermapothy, so that may also be working against any that may want to crop up.

C

Captain Spaulding

What about boiling? Let's say for 15-20 minutes, or using boiling hot water, and shaking up a batch in a 2 liter or something for 10 minutes or so? Straining of course later it an old t-shirt....

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
What about boiling? Let's say for 15-20 minutes, or using boiling hot water, and shaking up a batch in a 2 liter or something for 10 minutes or so? Straining of course later it an old t-shirt....
My current kava straining technique is to use an empty large size Simply Orange bottle (the kind with the handle)

Put an empty strainer bag almost all the way inside the bottle but leave room at the top to tie the bag together. Dump 5-9 ~tbsp size scoops into the bag then tie it up real tight. let the bag fall down into the bottle. For a more potent drink I'll let the tap run hot until it's as hot as it gets then fill up maybe 1/5th of the way with hot water. Cap it and shake the hell out of it, put your thumb under the handle and you can grip the lid close with your fingers it's an easy way to shake. Shake for a minute or more if you want you should see it turn foamy and oily. The oil on the top is key. Fill up after with more cool water until desired consitency and keep shaking before every pour it doesn't take long at all to get a potent kava from this method I'll try to edit and post some pics later.

Works with whatever kind of grind you want to use. Haven't tried this method with micro or instant I'm sure it'd be a good way to make a big batch of it.

edit: here's how I prepare the dry part (kinda forgot to take pictures after I started drinking the finished product :/ maybe tonight i'll follow up on that...

Attachments

Last edited:

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
So a huge makeshift aluball haha ?
Of course not... :cautious: ...it's shake-weights with kava! Actually, more like the South-park joke version of shakeweights where you get the "refreshing spritz" at the end haha

haven't ante'd up the $ for aluball yet. I've got my process down to about 5 mins if I want to drink kava right away with this. Although, this is better for larger batch stuff at home I can see the convenience of Aluball while out and about.

Last edited:

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Haha exactly ! I meant it as a good thing . Not like oh why not just buy an aluball . Self reliance is always better .
Hahahaha I ALWAYS think of shakeweight when I use the aluball .

C

Captain Spaulding

I think I'm going to stick with this, but do several squeezes, and maybe try using a metal coffee scoop as a pestal. Aluballs work good for boiling, but after doing research I really don't want the effects from it...

C

Captain Spaulding

Trying to figure out the best way to enjoy the maximum part of the first effects longer, and eliminate most of the draggy stuff at the end...

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
Trying to figure out the best way to enjoy the maximum part of the first effects longer, and eliminate most of the draggy stuff at the end...
the main thing I do is drink small amounts of kava over a longer period of time. Seems like that doesn't bring on the sedation too bad just relaxes later on in the evening so I'm ready for bed later. Some people chug large amounts at once maybe that causes a bigger swing in the effects? Can a Chugger drop in and give their experience with this?

Or, drink it with coffee? maybe with a nice heavy cream to benefit from the fat soluble kavalactones. Coconut cream is awesome if you want a full fat substitute for dairy. Any hot beverage with a high fat cream will synthesize properly with good kava!

Jerome

Kava Lover
I've found table spoons of unsulfered black strap molasses works well. Takes away the negative aspects of kava over endulgence.

Status
Not open for further replies.