What's new

Acetone test results megathread

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Can we have an acetone test result megathread or pinned thread where we post all of our acetone test results? That way it can be a quick reference to the nobility of kavas and their consistency over time.
I think consistency is the key word, because I have had some noble kavas that in my mind (and body) seemed far from it.

Sam Handwich

Kava Enthusiast
There was an old post about this, I think Deleted User was working on it but it never really got off the ground. For now I use a known Noble and known Tudei control then compare. It would be great to have a color chart so that you could just test the kava in question.

D

Deleted User01

There are a bunch of acetone tests done by @Deleted User at True Kava. These tests always create a sh_t storm because some of your (not mine) favorite kavas show some mighty weird colors and the vendors swear on a stack of bibles that their kava is noble. Check out the existing charts. If you'all are motivated, then start a new thread and post your findings. It might be fun but let's be careful not to make accusations lest we hurt someone's feelings. :rolleyes: One more thing, if the colors look bad, the vendors should be invited to post their own test and or explanation. Let's just agree not to point the Tudei finger at anyone but let the colors speak for themselves.

D

Deleted User01

Wild West psuedoscience fuckery real soon.
Hey @Squanch72, is that the same as a "cluster fuck". I'm sure if you ask @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava about this idea, he will finance it since it seems all his kavas are in the top 10 at True Kava's site. :LOL: You know, Squanch, I think you bring up a good point. Anybody who posts tests should be prepared to show a sample of Tudei next to the Kava they tested but who wants to buy Tudei just for that reason? If I know you guys, you will gulp them both down before you get around to testing them anyway. :D

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I've posted several results in the 'In-Depth' section here but I'm typically testing rare or local kavas that most people will never buy. I also don't always have the requisite known noble & tudei sample to compare against.

If such a thread were to be made, it should be made clear that the acetone test can produce such a wide variety of subtle hues, that it would be nearly impossible to assure that there is definitely no adulteration in some of the color ranges. To attempt to do this as a group, we'd have to all purchase the same exact vessels to test in and adhere strictly to the set proportions of root : acetone. In my experience, even when you try to be exact, different grind thicknesses affect the liquid levels in the containers. One thing that will be impossible to pin down is the photography, a white paper background is important, but so is making sure that you use the same exact lighting/light sources, distances and positions every single time you do it. That combination of things will then be different from one person to the next...and may appear to show slightly conflicting results.

Best bet is to always have the noble & tudei to compare to and just be confident to drink your kava if the results look generally like the known-noble control result...even if not exact. 10-15% adulteration would be difficult to recognize, both visually and internally. These days, it seems unlikely to run into any adulteration unless you're buying from very odd unfamiliar sources...or the 'Health Food Store'.

I don't know

Kava Enthusiast
Also, many different people can posts results for the same kavas so we can see if someone's test results are different than others.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
Just out of curiosity, is tudei/ISA even grown/planted outside of Vanautu, PNG, Hawaii, and the Solomon's? Like do Tongans and Fijians even plant it, as it doesn't seem to fit in with the kava they enjoy? I know with the cyclones and already low stock before the cyclones could lead to bad decisions. I always thought the big issue was that there was straight tudei and/or spiking of noble kava going on in Vanuatu supply line that was hard to stop.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Just out of curiosity, is tudei/ISA even grown/planted outside of Vanautu, PNG, Hawaii, and the Solomon's? Like do Tongans and Fijians even plant it, as it doesn't seem to fit in with the kava they enjoy? I know with the cyclones and already low stock before the cyclones could lead to bad decisions. I always thought the big issue was that there was straight tudei and/or spiking of noble kava going on in Vanuatu supply line that was hard to stop.
I have Isa growing here in Hawaii, it is in my collection but I do not sell any Isa. I also have all the Hawaiian varieties, I have Boroguru from Vanuatu, I have ava Lea from Samoa, Leka Hina from Tonga, 2 from Pohnpei, I think I might have a few more but I forget. Not too many people have all these kava's in Hawaii but Isa does grow here, it was brought in a while ago but it is actually getting hard to find because people do not like getting sick from it, only a few people are able to drink it with not too many problems. I also have given small samples to people that wanted a standard to test there kava with. But it will not show small percentages of tudei adulteration, that is why you would need to send a sample to Deleted User when he starts doing that again, his machines can tell the difference in even small changes in color so he can tell you if the kava has been adulterated with tudei. Aloha.

Chris

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
I have Isa growing here in Hawaii, it is in my collection but I do not sell any Isa. I also have all the Hawaiian varieties, I have Boroguru from Vanuatu, I have ava Lea from Samoa, Leka Hina from Tonga, 2 from Pohnpei, I think I might have a few more but I forget. Not too many people have all these kava's in Hawaii but Isa does grow here, it was brought in a while ago but it is actually getting hard to find because people do not like getting sick from it, only a few people are able to drink it with not too many problems. I also have given small samples to people that wanted a standard to test there kava with. But it will not show small percentages of tudei adulteration, that is why you would need to send a sample to Deleted User when he starts doing that again, his machines can tell the difference in even small changes in color so he can tell you if the kava has been adulterated with tudei. Aloha.

Chris
Thanks Chris. I knew you had some in your collection but that it was not for sale. I just thought I remembered you mentioning some people still grow it there and that it is sold at some of the kava bars in Hawaii. I was just curious what kava producing islands still actively plant it and if some don't plant it at all. I heard mention that it may show up in circles in Fiji but I assumed that it probably was imported Vanautu root that they were drinking and not locally grown root.
Joe

Last edited:

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I've posted several results in the 'In-Depth' section here but I'm typically testing rare or local kavas that most people will never buy. I also don't always have the requisite known noble & tudei sample to compare against.

If such a thread were to be made, it should be made clear that the acetone test can produce such a wide variety of subtle hues, that it would be nearly impossible to assure that there is definitely no adulteration in some of the color ranges. To attempt to do this as a group, we'd have to all purchase the same exact vessels to test in and adhere strictly to the set proportions of root : acetone. In my experience, even when you try to be exact, different grind thicknesses affect the liquid levels in the containers. One thing that will be impossible to pin down is the photography, a white paper background is important, but so is making sure that you use the same exact lighting/light sources, distances and positions every single time you do it. That combination of things will then be different from one person to the next...and may appear to show slightly conflicting results.
Shakas I have said before and I will say it again, I'd buy that local kava you always rave about. Is shakas.com up yet?
I also think that if we have a testing standard as you suggested, it would make for better results.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Acetone testing is kind of fun but someone really needs to create a color chart card set so it is easy to read the results.
IIRC part of the problem with this is that it's difficult to compare hues with the level of accuracy needed across different cameras/monitors. Deleted User explained this in a post I don't have offhand. This is why he uses a spectrometer which is great but expensive.

Sam Handwich

Kava Enthusiast
I agree, I have run some that had uncertain results, but I have also tested plenty that have nice clear bright yellow results; I like to share those. We post these things on here anyway, but not in any organized fashion. I think that @I don't know was simply saying that we should have an area for all acetone test related posts so that those searching for such things can easily find them.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I agree, I have run some that had uncertain results, but I have also tested plenty that have nice clear bright yellow results; I like to share those. We post these things on here anyway, but not in any organized fashion. I think that @I don't know was simply saying that we should have an area for all acetone test related posts so that those searching for such things can easily find them.
The thread is a fine idea...all I'm saying is that it should clearly prefaced with the knowledge and understanding that the results from various people's attempts, various lighting, various camera settings and various monitors will produce somewhat varied and inexact results that could possibly be misleading and are most certainly shaky science to base any definitive opinions on. I just want to make sure that any random future reader understands that the thread and the method are just a rough idea of what your kava really is.