What's new

Magnesium salicylate and kava (percogesic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
is percogesic in the form of magnesium salicylate safe to take the morning after kava or even during a session? I know tylenol is bad news all around and i need pain relief

verticity

I'm interested in things
Plain old aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) is OK, because it is not metabolized by cytochrome P450 enzymes, but by a different mechanism in the liver. I would guess, but am not sure, that magnesium salicylate would be metabolized similarly, and would probably be OK.

(I am not a real doctor, but I am a real worm. They call me Dr. Worm)

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Can anyone help me figure out if magnesium salicylate is metabolized by different liver pathways than kava? Im hoping to have a small shell this evening. Its been 9 hours though anyway and the halflife of the mag salicylate appears to be 2-3 hours according to google. Id like to know still

verticity

I'm interested in things
Can anyone help me figure out if magnesium salicylate is metabolized by different liver pathways than kava? Im hoping to have a small shell this evening. Its been 9 hours though anyway and the halflife of the mag salicylate appears to be 2-3 hours according to google. Id like to know still
As far as I can tell, magnesium salicylate is metabolized by phase 2 metabolism, not by cytochrome p450 (phase 1 metabolism). In other words, by a different mechanism than kavalactones.
References:
http://www.painmed.org/files/drug-metabolism-chart.pdf
Harwood-Nuss' Clinical Practice of Emergency Medicine

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
I take small amounts of tylenol when drinking Kava without having any issues because it is in some of the prescription medications I take. Given a choice, I reach for asprin. Good ole BC powders. My point is that even if it's metabolized by the same enzymes, occasional doses should be ok, but this is based on my personal experiences. There may be people here more knowledgeable than me with a different (and more educated) opinion.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
I try to take as little tylenol as possible, but when I need my meds I don't have much choice without doing a cold water extraction (not happening). My doses of tylenol are fairly low, and I don't do anything else that's rough on your liver anymore. BTW I want to visit your planet.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Chandra, perhaps a milk thistle regiment would be helpful? There have been some studies shown here on the damage that acetominophen can do when combined with kava in the system. Also, you could possibly request a change of prescription to one that either didnt contain tylenol or has aspirin instead (i.e, hydrocodone is available with Aspirin/ibuprofin in it as an alternative to tylenol)

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
I may try the milk thistle. Between doctors and insurance, it would probably be a pain to switch to the non tylenol version. I take hydrocodone and Fioricet, both have tylenol. I limit my consumption to as little of them as possible for obvious reasons, but milk thistle would probably be a good idea. I did a lot of hard drugs and hard drinking in my younger years, so my liver probably isn't in the best shape anyway. That was years ago and I make an effort to take care of my body now, but I've noticed sometimes damage never heals completely.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
If you do try milk thistle go for the bulk powder unless you can afford a high quality extract. You should be able to get a pound of organic powder for under $20. Thats like a 4 month supply. I am cpnfident that it does at least some good because anytime i drink alcohol and have taken plenty of milk thistle my hangover is reduced by at least 75% usually even more

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Magnesium has been shown to be practically a wonder drug in reference to magnesium @chandra I would give it a go!
Oddly enough when you look at the map of fibro. The further from the equator the more it is prevalent .

Status
Not open for further replies.