What's new

My very first drink

Jennabell

Hello all, I want to try kava for relaxation (both mental and physical) and to help me fall and stay asleep. So I bought some micronized nene from GHK and tried it last night. I have never drunk alcohol and am usually very sensitive to medications and supplements, so I wanted to be cautious with kava.

At 9:30pm (two hours after finishing dinner), I blended only 1 tbsp with 6 oz almond milk. I felt the numbness in my mouth and throat right away, but that soon faded. I felt no other effects.

Should I try 2 tbsp in 6oz tonight, do you think? Or should I stick with 1 tbsp in 6oz but have two drinks instead of one? Thank you for your advice!

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
one or two tablespoons of micronized in 6oz of liquid...wait 15-20 minutes and repeat as necessary.
if no effects are felt after 4 or 5 tablespoons. stop and try again the next day, otherwise risk nausea.
remember to have an empty stomach.

CactusKava

Phoenix, AZ
Kava Vendor
Hello all, I want to try kava for relaxation (both mental and physical) and to help me fall and stay asleep. So I bought some micronized nene from GHK and tried it last night. I have never drunk alcohol and am usually very sensitive to medications and supplements, so I wanted to be cautious with kava.

At 9:30pm (two hours after finishing dinner), I blended only 1 tbsp with 6 oz almond milk. I felt the numbness in my mouth and throat right away, but that soon faded. I felt no other effects.

Should I try 2 tbsp in 6oz tonight, do you think? Or should I stick with 1 tbsp in 6oz but have two drinks instead of one? Thank you for your advice!
Welcome, @Jennabell !

Generally, you'll want to do as @shakas mentioned. With kava, drinking one 4-6oz glass will rarely give you the effects you're looking for. I recommend drinking 1 tablespoon of micronized kava in 6oz of water, repeated every 20 minutes until you feel it. That normally means you'll have 2-4 doses (or shells, as we say around here). Also, two hours after dinner might not have been long enough. If you feel hungry, or slightly hungry, you're ready to have some kava.

Reach out if you have any questions!

-Morgan

Jennabell

So I followed the advice of 1 tablespoon micronized nene in 6 oz water. This time I waited until three hours after dinner. I drank the first "shell" at 9:30pm, the second at 9:50, and the third at 10:20. Other than mouth numbness, I felt no effects, positive or negative. I went to bed at midnight and had a terrible time falling asleep, ended up awake for two hours, but don't know if related to the kava as I often do have some trouble sleeping. I'm hoping the kava will help me fall asleep. I guess I try again tonight? Not sure what else I could change.... I bought the sample pack so I also have mahakea, but was told the nene was the best one to start.

blindy107

Kava Lover
Welcome aboard! I would continue to follow shakas advice. For some of us it doesn't klick right away. Kava is odd because it's effects are typically really subtle. For the first time it clicked it was more like a realization than the full on whammy effect I expected. Being an addict I probably had that kind of "drug" expectation.

Keep it up! Happy hunting!

Edit: I just re read your last post. Maybe try drinking kava before dinner and eating a little later. I like to kava a few hours before bed so I can enjoy it's other facets. So I eat lunch around 11 then kava 5-6ish then eat and relax then bed at 9.

I don't know

Kava Enthusiast
If you are dealing with reverse tolerance it could take a week or two to feel anything. Try letting a teaspoon of it dissolve under your tongue. Then, if you can handle the taste, do it again a little bit later. Works for me with instant and micro.

Ty The Kava Guy

Kava Curious
I had a pretty killer reverse tolerance myself. Almost 3 weeks! But once i broke through, it was beautiful...and nene is one of my personal faves. I love the empathetic feelings it allows me to connect with. And the sleep, always amazing. You'll get there Jenna! Dont give up! But if you dont want to use your nene just to not feel it anyway, i moved to health food store kava caps after a week. Just so i wasnt wasting my quality root on my RT, ya know? Good luck

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk