What's new

Powdered Kava Review Loa Lawena

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I ordered all three kavas from Cactus Kava a few months ago and just haven't got round to the Loa Lawena yet. I have to say I'm pretty impressed. I find Ono and Eva nice but on the weak side whereas the Lawena feels a bit stronger. I used a slightly different prep method than I usually do, aluballed relatively weak but chugging 4 oz shells every 20 mins. Normally this doesn't work so well for me but I'm having a good night.

The grind is really quite fine and I noticed quite a bit of sediment got through the aluballs. I drank this up anyway and I think it's fair to say that accounts for the slight nausea. After the first 4 oz shell I noticed effects quite quickly, mostly heady with very slight body notes. I'm finding the whole experience pretty relaxing, just watching tv with my flatmate and getting steadily more and more rooted. The slight anxiety I mention could be to do with me, I get the same anxiety from Loa Waka but worse so I'm guessing it's something to do with this strain. I must stress that it is only very mild and a lot calmer than the Waka so it wouldn't put me off drinking it again.

As I've mixed it a lot weaker than I usually do in terms of root to liquid ratio I'm finding it really easy to drink. I've never got on so well with Fijian kavas with a few exceptions preferring a smooth Tongan or a straight out peppery Vanuatu but this is pleasant tasting and I could drink it all the time. My overall thoughts on this is that it is a good standard kava, not my favourite ever but one I will consider keeping in stock as a regular use kava. These days we are spoilt for choice when it comes to great kavas and this one squeaks in at the bottom of the great kava list. Solid and relaxing kava that I would honestly recommend you to try if you're reading this and wondering if it's worth it.