What's new

Stimulant exaggeration

drbinxy

Kava Curious
I have noticed that when I drink kava after taking any sort of stimulant it makes the stimulant way more powerful and the kava doesn't really feel sedating anymore.
My personal experience is with caffeine and pseudoephedrine (i.e. sudafed, allegra-d) since I don't take any other stimulants.
Has anyone else noticed this effect? I think it may be a contributing factor if not the cause of kava keeping some people awake at night.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Some kavas keep me awake a little at night and I don't take any stimulants.

FuzzyHotSounds

Kava Curious
I haven't tried any stimulants with kava. I'm new to this awesome plant... but maybe you should try to decrease the dosage? I notice energy from the kava alone, even the "night-time" ones that others have alluded to. This might have something to do with its dopamine (antagonist?) properties, I'm not sure. Be careful. Might wanna research that more, or wait for someone else to chime in.

edit:
I just don't want you to have a bad experience. I know almost nothing about kava. But, I do know that mixing things (drugs, even natrual plants), can cause unwanted interactions, especially if overdoing it. OK ill shutup now, and I'll chug some more kava! :D

Last edited:

verticity

I'm interested in things
I find that kava can increase the effect of caffeine (in my case in the form of coffee--I have not tried yerba mate), in a kind of unpleasant way. It has gotten to the point that I very rarely drink coffee anymore, whereas before kava I used to drink tons of coffee. Likewise a little caffeine can decrease the effects of kava.

EQ

Atman
@verticity
It is ignorant to assume the caffeine in mate reacts the same. I mean that respectfully. I would expect anybody to say what you did.

You should check the thread.
Lots of us have found mate and kava to synergize to produce a high.
Mate also synergizes with Cannabis although theoretically caffeine detoxes THC.

Mate has just below the caffeine level of coffee. I drink 1 Litre to 3 Litres every day.
Can you imagine 3 Litres of coffee? 24 cups?

My caffeine receptors should be fryed.
Yet if I drink coffee I'm hyper because I have no tolerance.

Nothing about it reflects caffeine, and I am not alone in these subjective findings. Every Mate head comes to these conclusions.
We are super relaxed, alert, getting restful sleeps and just loving it.
It needs to be studied.
You would not think it has caffeine if you drank without knowing. It should be looked at as a different drug.
It reacts differently than tea, coffee, or caffeine extract in a way we don't understand yet.

You can prove it to yourself by simply drinking.

verticity

I'm interested in things
@verticity
It is ignorant to assume the caffeine in mate reacts the same. I mean that respectfully. I would expect somebody to say what you did.

You should check the thread.
Lots of us have found mate and kava to synergize to produce a high.
Mate also synergizes with Cannabis although theoretically caffeine detoxes THC.

Mate has just below the caffeine level of coffee. I drink 1 Litre to 3 Litres every day.
Can you imagine 3 Litres of coffee? 24 cups?

My caffeine receptors should be fryed.
Yet if I drink coffee I'm hyper because I have no tolerance.

Nothing about it reflects caffeine, and I am not alone in these subjective findings. Every Mate head comes to these conclusions.
We are super relaxed, alert, getting restful sleeps and just loving it.
It needs to be studied.
You would not think it has caffeine if you drank without knowing. It should be looked at as a different drug.

You can prove it to yourself by simply drinking.
Oh yes, I fully admit my ignorance about yerba mate, that's why I specified that my caffeine came from coffee. Maybe I'll try yerba sometime. But where can you buy it? Is it a mail order thing like kava? I haven't seen it at the Walmart lol

EQ

Atman
Oh yes, I fully admit my ignorance about yerba mate, that's why I specified that my caffeine came from coffee. Maybe I'll try yerba sometime. But where can you buy it? Is it a mail order thing like kava? I haven't seen it at the Walmart lol
Good question.

I get mine at a local store that only sells mate. It is literally called Mate.
Most here just order the bags online. Local stores that sell the bags are wholsesale stores, or south american hue stores. I would try a google search.

goyerbamate.com

is where most of the fellow forum members here order from.

I also recommend to drink the traditional way, not because of looks but because of experience and theory. The full benefits from mate is harder to achieve if not drank traditionally. The thread has everything you need to know.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Theaninelife, are you a fan of guayusa? Its even smoother than yerba and I think has even more caffiene, with a good amount of theanine toi. I take it you must be a fan due to your name though haha.

To answer the op question yes u do notice it has an effect on just about anything. Might be dopamine antagonism?

Reactions: EQ

EQ

Atman
Theaninelife, are you a fan of guayusa? Its even smoother than yerba and I think has even more caffiene, with a good amount of theanine toi. I take it you must be a fan due to your name though haha.
Haven't experienced Guayusa yet. From what I understand it is quite different from Yerba. To my knowledge it is more stimulating,
which isn't a bad thing. There have been negative reports due to over consumption but not with yerba. I like yerba due to it's trance-like relaxation, and healing properties.
I just haven't had any desire for anything besides Yerba. I've noticed with life too. I don't find myself looking at things to buy anymore. I used to always browse Amazon. Now I am just at peace. Yerba is telling me to forget it's cousin.

Do you have experience with Yerba and Guayusa? Can you compare them? @ThePiper

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Ive heard some things about yerba being carcinogenic but that might be a misconception of western science on time tested ancient traditions. Im sure its nothing to worry about unless your drinking ten gourds a day or somethin lol. I find guayusa to be less stimulating than yerba but they have similarities. You can go to sleep after drinking it and it will enhance your dreams. T

EQ

Atman
Ive heard some things about yerba being carcinogenic but that might be a misconception of western science on time tested ancient traditions. Im sure its nothing to worry about unless your drinking ten gourds a day or somethin lol. I find guayusa to be less stimulating than yerba but they have similarities. You can go to sleep after drinking it and it will enhance your dreams. T
Yerba was proven to destroy cancer cells.

Materos in South America drink 190 degree water, smoke tobacco all day, and drink lots of booze. Thus cancer

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Iirc there is a vendor who sells yerba mate and kava combined ned and suggests they are a match made in heaven. Is it correct that the theobromide is a major player in this though... ive seen people here recommend strong chocolate and kava as a good combo and have tried eating cocoa beans with my kava before. I think Guayusa manages to be so heavily caffienated yet almost sedative because of the theanine content (a relaxing amino acid found in green tea, for those who dont know) but I believe it contains theobromide as well, but would have to double check to be sure

verticity

I'm interested in things
It is ignorant to assume that every one on the internet knows what they are talking about ;-)
Hey... chill out dude... by drinking some nice ice-cold water maybe. :D But really, lets not sink to name-calling here.. that is not the kava way